i7-4770R cores 100°C running KeyShot - Will my machine melt??

Started by DriesV, February 13, 2014, 06:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

I recently got myself a super tiny network render node.
The machine is a Gigabyte GB-BXi7-4770R with an i7-4770R CPU.

We all know KeyShot utilizes all CPU cores to the max. ;)
However, I was a bit shocked when I saw core temperatures soar up to 100°C in HWMonitor on Windows. :-[

While KeyShot is running the core temperatures typically fall within the range 90 to 100°C.

At the same time I'm reading that many Macbooks reach equally high temperatures under heavy loads...
Would it be OK to run this system so hot for extended periods of time (8 hours/day) without melting the machine or my desk? :)

Dries

TpwUK

http://ark.intel.com/products/76642/Intel-Core-i7-4770R-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz says the maximum case temperature but not safe cpu operating temps, so my guess would be to say with adequate cooling it may well be happy, but for how long is any bodies guess

Martin

DriesV

Btw, I'm currently running this machine without overclock, Turbo Boost disabled (3.2 GHz max.) and with a core voltage of just 0.95V.

Dries

Ruckus

Intel defines the case temperature this way:
Case Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS).  You are way over the temp on the spec site that Martin found, so it sounds like you are likely to have a problem.

Maybe it will run cooler with the cover(s) taken off?

Can you relocate the box to a cooler location?

DriesV

QuoteCase Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS).
The core temperatures in HWMonitor in fact aren't Tcase. As far as I know, Tcase cannot be measured without an actual probe and milling on the IHS.
QuoteMaybe it will run cooler with the cover(s) taken off?
The case is so tiny, that it doesn't have any covers (except for the bottom, which holds the SSD). :)
QuoteCan you relocate the box to a cooler location?
Not really an option...

Dries

Ruckus

A couple of other (not so good) options are replacing the internal fan with a higher RPM model, or it setting on top of one those notebook coolers.  ::)

Hopefully the actual problem is an inaccurate readout (the temperature sensor or the report from it is faulty).  You can probably get a close approximation using a hand held infrared thermometer (about $20US).  I can't speak to the reliability of those things, but they should be easy to check - point it a someones face, a block of ice, a pot of boiling water, etc.

Just trying to help, but rapidly running out of ideas here.  :-\

DriesV

Hmm, I've been doing some further reading and it seems that 'Tj max' for 4770(R) is 100°C.
This means that this CPU can handle core temperatures up to 100°C perfectly fine.

I think I'm good to go! :)

Dries

PhilippeV8

DriesV

Yeah, it runs a little hot. However, it is still perfectly within Intel spec.
And apparently the recent high-end MacBook Pro models with i7 CPUs run just as hot on high loads.

+50fps in the camera scene for a machine with a volume of 0.79L is pretty awesome. ;D

Dries

edwardo

I just got the quad core 2.6 i7 MacBook Pro. As soon as you start keyshot the fans seem to kick in on full blast. They must be doing a decent job because the laptop doesn't seem to get too hot even under heavy loads (not like my last one which actually burned my lap once). I looked into it and apparently 100c is ok, though I'm not sure I swallow that, surely those sorts of temperatures can melt solder?. On this note, I'd like to see the ability to pause a render (similar to pausing real time rendering) to let your computer cool down a touch.

Ed

thomasteger

I have been running Macs since the early days of HyperShot and never had a problem.

multitech

100C sounds too hot for an i7 in a desktop.  You might want to try a different temp monitoring program to make sure your software is reporting the temp correctly.  I use Core Temp.  I'm running about 55C rendering with 10 out of the 12 cores.  If I overclock to 125%, I run about 75C.  Idle is high 30s, low 40s.

My laptops i7 mobile CPU renders at about 75-80C with 8 cores.  The fan speed is maxed out trying to cool the laptop even with an extra cooling pad under it.  Idle is about 50C.

If your i7 CPU is also using the integrated GPU, that could explain the extra heat.

Mike  8)

edwardo

Quote from: Thomas Teger on February 19, 2014, 06:47:21 AM
I have been running Macs since the early days of HyperShot and never had a problem.

Sorry, I may have been un clear. I have never had any problems running keyshot on any of my macs. My old 'banger' (2006 MBP 2.4 ghz dual core intel) ran it just fine, getting about 12fps with the camera scene. It did however get frighteningly hot, as did it's powerpack, but this was largely due to its slow frame rate forcing my to render each image for ages. My new MBP 2.6 quad i7 runs keyshot like a dream, at about 55 fps. It doesn't seem to get very hot at all, and I now only render each image for 10 mins on average. I'm only commenting on the tha fact that my new laptop seems to turn the fans on pretty hard as soon as keyshot boots up a scene - which isn't a bad thing at all. Iv never had temp monitoring apps on any machine, but my old banger definitely got to nearly 100c. In a nutshell, I think the fans and cooling system in the new mbp's are very efficient (but not particularly quiet) .

Either way, with my new MBP, keyshot running sweet, and rhino surely approaching an osx release I am a very happy chappy. Maybe I'm showing my age, but I'm astounded that I can do what I do, all on a super thin, beautiful machine weighing less than 4.5 lbs! Happy days. On the down side, mavericks is 'ticky' with zbrush, cs6, alias, mudbox, maya. I'm not even going to install these things until they run as sweet as keyshot. Adobe and autodesk could benefit from taking a leaf out of luxions book....get it sorted!

multitech

I just installed HWMonitor.  Has similar readings to Core Temp.  Actually, HWMonitor has much more data.  My temps still show 50-55 C with 10 cores cooking in Keyshot.

DriesV

Intel Haswell CPUs @ 100°C = no problem. :) At default clock speed that is...
These chips are designed to take the heat.

A 4770R @ 55°C will not last longer than @ 100°C.
I've managed to get temps below 90°C, by undervolting CPU.

Btw, I can totally recommend this unit as a headless network render node! ;)

Dries