VR Help

Started by jBogh, February 21, 2014, 11:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jBogh

Hi guys I've been running into a few problems so I figured it was time to ask for some advice.

Im building a new website and would love to incorporate KeyShots VR's into site as a key feature.
Here's the issue:

So Im lazy when it comes to building sites, usually using these "drag and drop" services like Weebly or Squarespace.
Currently using Weebly for my portfolio site.
The problem is that Weebly doesnt give you access to the back end of your site. No FTP access at all.
Any files uploaded to them are treated as download only files set as a link on the page. Not very helpful.

Josh recommended I build a website through wordpress and get hosting somewhere else.
I've dabbled with Wordpress but I just dont have the time right now, plus I already have a site built with a working domain name.
So I tried his second suggestion which was just buying some space through hostgator.com to serve as a VR locker of sorts.

Bought a cheap domain though HostGator, went through all the ridiculous steps of setting up the FTP from scratch.
Loaded my Keyshot VR where I wanted it, and dropped it into an iframe tag on my page.
Only to find out that host gator for whatever reason is DIRT slow!
Completely worthless for what I was after. The VR which was only 18 jpgs loads to about 11-15% and then freezes, if Im lucky. Sometimes it just sits and spins.

After a few more attempts I bailed on the whole thing and requested my money back out of disappointment.
Long story short, I'm wondering how some of you wizards are making this work for you.
Im sure most of you have a wordpress site or something similar that just works like it should.
But Im hoping someone might be able to offer some advice on how to do this while still keeping weebly for now.
Not ready to jump ship, I just need a reliable hosting service that will allow me to upload any VRs with ease and let me link them to blogs and web pages.
And fire up like they are supposed too! Ive had Luxion host one for me and it works great. Loads fast and everything is responsive. But I dont want to have to send them each file.

If anyone has suggestions Im all ears! Thanks for your time guys.

hugo

Quote from: jBogh on February 21, 2014, 11:01:22 AM
Completely worthless for what I was after. The VR which was only 18 jpgs loads to about 11-15% and then freezes, if Im lucky. Sometimes it just sits and spins.

This is why one should design embedded Flash animations with some type of "spinning loading logo" code,  the user has to wait for the Flash animation to load. Naturally playing a Flash animation on your home network requires almost no loading . I don't think KeyShot VR is going to work commercially. Also we are now in a transition, to HTML 5, but its still to early to tell when it will be finalized.

My 2 cents: Make either a movie, or incorporate the images into a Flash .swf file with forward and back buttons to control the sliding images.
I started a Blogger Site, Its free with lots of themes to choose from, I store images free at Picasa, I store videos free at you tube. I store scripts for sale at Google Sites for free, which I sell on my Blogger site with links via PayPal.