Big Project - big rendertimes

Started by winniw, February 21, 2014, 11:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winniw

Hey,
we are planning a bigger project similar to a lookbook with about 12 to 16 A4 300dpi pages with keyshot renderings.
My powerbook is a wonderfull machine, but ...  8)
We could render on a server with 32 cores/128GB RAM  ::) but this server is for us reachable just over rdp.

Can we use (buy) the network render system and use it with a rdp-session?
Can we activate/deactive our license in the evening and let the big machine work at night? To start the day with deactivating and activating the license to my powerbook?
Do we have to buy a new pro license?
Or a floating one ...  :-\

I appreciate your answers,
best regards from germany, winnie

hey, we love keyshot  ;)

DriesV

Network rendering to the rescue.

With NR you have a local application (on your workstation running KeyShot) to manage jobs. You don't need RDP/VNC access to the networked machines for your KeyShot work.

Dries

thomasteger

Winnie -

Not sure what you mean by RDP session.

With Network Rendering, you don't need to buy another KeyShot license. You just buy as many NR cores as you think you may need.

You then install the software on all slave machines that you want to use in your render farm. One of the machines or a separate machine should act as the license server (don't use your machine. On your own machine, you install the software, but all you use is the network render queue for monitoring the NR processes and retrieving the final images.

Your machine is not part of the Network Render process, not unless you also make it a slave.

The NR application allows you to add and/or remove slaves at any point in time, even during the render process. You can also schedule when you want the slaves to be active, and how many cores you want to use on each machine.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions please send me an e-mail: thomas@luxion.com

Kann auch auf deutsch sein, wenn's einfacher ist!

Gruß,
Thomas

winniw

Hey Dries,

thank you for your answer.
How does ist work? How does it connect to a machine with another IP, another subnet ...  :o ?

"Slaves will be connected automatically by sending packets across the network for detection by the master for connection"

Is there a network render system documentation?
w.

thomasteger

Documentation is available with the installer.

DriesV

I have a network rendering setup at home (32 cores) that I can submit jobs to remotely (outside LAN, different WAN).

I can give you temporary access to try it out.
Shoot me a PM if you want.

Dries

winniw

;D
hab' Dir (Thomas) gerade eine Email geschrieben.
Merci, W.

winniw

@dries
::) THANKS! This is a nice offer.
Are there any commercial render farm offers?
:P W.

DriesV

winniw

Die hatte ich auch gefunden, aber ...
8) ... sieht offline aus ...  :-\
Ich seh nix.

thomasteger

Yes - not sure what is going on there. I wonder whether this is the guy who is running 192 cores of NR. I met him at this year's SW World - his name is Steve, but I can't find his contact info :-(

winniw

:-[
We will have to look tomorrow again, hope the guy is all right  ???
Best regards, W. 8)

winflix

:( renderbay is down ...  :(

I think, I have to buy the Pro Floating license.
Best regards, Felix

DriesV

I still think Network rendering is the better solution in your situation.

I sent you a PM with details, in case you want to try out my NR setup.

Dries

DriesV

Btw, my setup has 32 cores. It should give a pretty good idea about what to expect on your server performance-wise.

Dries