Light through glass and liquid

Started by Rydi, March 18, 2014, 06:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rydi

Hello everybody

Do you know what is the best way to achieve light reflections on the ground like that ?

I tried to add a sphere on the scene and then apply a light as material, with all options checked on the rendering pannel but my result was very grainy... not smooth at all, I can't give you a preview now but i'll do. Before that, anyone have a Idea ?

The result is very very smooth, I think the material ground matter, as well as the lighting.

Thank you guys !

Rydi

Hi guys,

I hope with a screen you will see what I am talking about, look in the picture all the dots of light, i want something smooth, but even with my ground with 128 samples, my caustics at 10, the quality shadows to 5, i have this result ...

Any idea ? I use a HDRI environnement black with just one spot of light.

On the left this is a screenshot of keyshot, on the right the final render.

Thank you !

Rydi

I really don't like to reply to my own topic and create multi post but if someone have an idea I will really appreciate :)

richardfunnell

Hi Rydi,

Can you share this scene with us?

Rydi

Hi Richardfunnell,

Here is the scene, if you achieve something that will be GREAT :)

Rydi

Hello here :)

Maybe this is not possible ?
I don't think so but if no one can answer maybe it is :s

KeyShot

I recommend you try using the realtime renderer for this type of scene with a detailed caustic. You can use the max samples approach, which will render the scene as long as you use enough samples.

Rydi

Okay thanks for the tip ! I keep it ;)

DriesV

I gave this scene a shot today.

I did one of my usual tricks of doing separate passes for general lighting and caustics.
The reasoning behind this:
* Point lights generate the sharpest/fastest caustics, but are not suitable for general lighting of your product.
* HDRIs with multiple 'light pins' (which is probably what you want for HQ jewelry/fashion ware) cause caustics to take a long time to converge.
Attached is the result after compositing in Photoshop.

Here you can download a zip containing:
* KeyShot packages with scene files for both the base and caustics pass
* EXR renders out of KeyShot (base & caustics)
* Photoshop working doc
* Final image

I did this really quickly.
You can get better results with some more tweaking in KeyShot, more render time and better compositing.

I hope this is what you're looking for... :)
At least I had a lot of fun taking your scene for a spin! ;D

Dries

DriesV

Btw,

I'm not usually the guy to self-promote, but recently I hosted a KeyShot webinar where I covered the process of rendering and compositing this way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY626fh_Xcs&feature=youtu.be
The section about caustics starts at around 54:00.

Dries

edwardo

Those caustics are amazing Dries. Can you let me know (roughly) how long each render took and the spec of the machine you rendered it on?

The reason I ask is that Im having speed issues getting to this level of quality. I'm playing about with caustics for the first time (I'v got V3 but playing with V5 beta at the moment). I will open these .bips and take a look at your settings and see if its feasible to render on my laptop (mbp 2014 2.6quadcore i7, 16gig ram)

@Rydi... Good luck with getting your scene the way you want it - I hope Dries setup points the way.

Thanks
Edwardo

DriesV

Ed,

This was rendered on a i7 3930K machine (88fps in camera.bip on KS4.3).
The caustics pass (2500*1250) rendered for 45 minutes. (You can probably get faster results with advanced control rendering...)
The base pass rendered for less than 10 minutes, I think.

Dries

DriesV

As for rendering with advanced control: the caustics quality can be increased by dialing in a value of up to 100.

Dries

edwardo

Rydi

Dries i'm gonna look your file soon because i can't right now, but when i'm watching your result I just want to call you God.
So thank you, a lot :)