Main Menu

A buck twenty five

Started by JTrusty, March 18, 2014, 09:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTrusty

Certainly nothing amazing.

However, I needed a reference object to show scale for our products. The majority of our customers are US based and know the relative size of a US quarter. Hence the ( not so quick ) quarter study.

What I was not able to do was simulate the cartwheel luster on the coin surface. It is created from metal flow during the stamping process. Basically there is are microscopic radial lines in the metal surface. Neither textures ( bump map ) nor materials were able to accomplish it.

If anyone could offer a clue, I would appreciate it.  :)

edwardo

would you not be better just fudging about and creating a spec map (with raised parts seeming more polished/shiny). Im not sure the human eye can really see these radial lines you speak of. i suppose it depends on how close up your shot will be.

Nice effort so far though - mucky old coins are hard to get right!

ed

JTrusty

QuoteIm not sure the human eye can really see these radial lines you speak of.

You are correct. The human eye can not see the lines themselves. However, the effects of the lines are very apparent to the human eye. It is the effect I am wanting to achieve. Specular map isn't going to cut. The "highlights" would be stationary and not change with viewing angle.

Ed

Can you post a photo of a quarter that best shows the effect?

Will you be creating still images or animation?

Ed

JTrusty

QuoteWill you be creating still images or animation?

Shouldn't matter. The visual effect needs to change with viewing angle ( as you will see below ).

Here is a youtube, not a quarter, but exact same results. You will see it best illustrated around the 9 to 12 second mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE4bkrH1Jww

And thanks for your desire to help.  ;)

richardfunnell

What about using the anisotropic material to get the CD reflection effect on the top surface?
I also threw on a procedural radial texture to help out a little, it's been scaled down very small and with very little height.

This may look terrible on your geometry though, good luck ;)

JTrusty

QuoteWhat about using the anisotropic material to get the CD reflection effect on the top surface?

Thanks. This might be another option to explore.  :)

JTrusty

Thanks brother. The anisotropic material was a step in the right direction.  ;)

richardfunnell

edwardo

would you be willing to share the .bip so I could play around?

Thanks
Ed

JTrusty

Quotewould you be willing to share the .bip so I could play around?

Sure, here ya go.  :)

www.gearsector.com/img/misc/forum/1.25.ksp

Josh3D

Yep! The anisotropic effect looks great. Very nice and thanks for sharing the .ksp!

edwardo

Hi JTrusty, thanks for sharing the bip.  I took a look and played about but was unable to get any improvements on what you have (when you used anisotropic material). If your still unhappy i would suggest using mudbox / Zbrush to 'stamp' on the geometry. That way you will free up the 'bump' capabilities of the material. Essentially at the moment you are trying to do this without a bump map at all. I think the image you are using as a bump map at the moment should work 'as is' as a stamp brush in either mud box or Zbrush. If not, some basic photoshop tweaking should do it.

Hope this helps
Ed

JTrusty

QuoteI think the image you are using as a bump map at the moment should work 'as is' as a stamp brush in either mud box or Zbrush.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to either Zbrush or Mudbox. But I believe you are correct. I can not go any further forward without stamping the geometry. Thanks for taking a look.  :)

EGON

If you really wanted to make it work you can, without Mudbox or Zbrush. Be creative.