Flip command, & Snap degree setting for rotation.

Started by hugo, March 31, 2014, 07:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hugo

Open imported files KS can be hit or miss, because there is no standard XYZ co-ordinate system in the 3D industry.
I think a simple FLIP command in the right click (context menu) would be a great help.

TpwUK

You can set the UP direction of the model when importing Hugo

Martin

General Sternwood

I like the idea of snap to degree function. Most CAD programs have this where the arrow keys rotate the model about its central axis incrementally. Pressing the arrow key gives a 10 or 15 degree rotation right, left and up, down. This would save having to adjust the model position numerically in the position tab. Another feature common to CAD is key commands for major views. Ctr f for front view, ctr t for top view, ctr r for right view etc. If you have a CAD program you appreciate it when such features are cross platform.

hugo

Quote from: TpwUK on March 31, 2014, 08:31:50 AM
You can set the UP direction of the model when importing Hugo

Your presuming I will always remember which UP is what, and in which CAD program UP is.
Flip would solve having to remember. :) 

TpwUK

Then use the move/position tool and rotate whichever axis +- 90 degrees, but a flip button would certainly be quicker, and you would still need to provide the axis to be flipped

Martin

thomasteger

Snap to 15ยบ - hold down the shift key while rotating the model. Says it even in the dialog.

hugo

Quote from: TpwUK on March 31, 2014, 01:06:40 PM
but a flip button would certainly be quicker, and you would still need to provide the axis to be flipped
You would not need an axis. positioning the mouse on the face, would determine the FLIP.
your using the same routine as dragging materials to specific faces. 

General Sternwood

I am aware of the increments in the rotate tool. I was just suggesting adopting arrow keys for movement to be more consistent with what seems to be common practice in graphic related software.  When you use a software all day little extra hand movements can become irritating but this is probably not very important in the grand scheme of things.