Main Menu

Nissan GTR

Started by Adam_M, April 03, 2014, 10:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam_M

Hello all. Here's a new image of a Nissan GTR.

This is my first outdoor HDRI shot with a realistic background (HDRI and Backplate are from SMCars.net provided by Exidge), And Model is from GrabCAD provided by Adamo Douglas (https://grabcad.com/library/nissan-gt-r-by-sir-adamo-douglas-1)

Can anyone lend any tips to push this image further, How to remove the sharp edge from the car and the background so they further mesh together making it more realistic? I'm using gimp and have very little knowledge of compositing and photo editing.

I've attached the before (top) after (bottom)
Thanks for all comments.

Ruckus

The second image is starting to look pretty good.

A couple of quick tips:
     Before you render cut the bottom of the wheels off, or push them below the ground plane just a little.  This will make the car look more grounded.
     To make it more believable (using this particular backplate) you will have to relocate the car further back into the image.  The sharp focus car needs to be in the area of focus in the backplate.  Your sharp focus wheels are to close to the out of focus weeds for the brain to reconcile.

CAClark

Def what Ruckus says. Part of the issue as well is that the car sits over plants that should be in front of it, so you have to watch carefully for where you place the car. The most reliable way I find is to grade the render once you are done, the heavier the grade, the more it brings the two in to one, like this render using one of the same plates

Part of the grade I used is adjustment curves to push the blacks in the shadows under the car, which tend to be nowhere near dark enough.

Cheers!

Adam_M

Thanks to both of you!

Rukus, I thought about putting a slight DOF on the keyshot pass to help but I agree the car needs to be pushed further back into the scene. I find it hard to get that perfect depth where the car is the right size regarding the world around it. Also, thanks for the tip on setting the car slightly below the ground plane.

CAClark, this may be my total ignorance, but what are you referring to when you say "grade the render"?

EGON

Here's a GTR I made for an art buyer at Chiat-Day. Her name was Rosie. Right after I sent it she quit.

CAClark

Quote from: Ruckus on April 03, 2014, 11:40:53 AM
The second image is starting to look pretty good.

A couple of quick tips:
     Before you render cut the bottom of the wheels off, or push them below the ground plane just a little.  This will make the car look more grounded.
     To make it more believable (using this particular backplate) you will have to relocate the car further back into the image.  The sharp focus car needs to be in the area of focus in the backplate.  Your sharp focus wheels are to close to the out of focus weeds for the brain to reconcile.

It's just a term for post processing, a basic example of adding a grade to make renders look less artificial can be seen here: http://www.scorpiocgi.co.uk/1010

Cheers!

Adam_M

Thanks Craig. I'm planning on making another attempt this afternoon.

Adam_M

Ran another image, pushed the car further back in the scene. Tweaked the curves slightly. I'm using GIMP, which I'm still kind of new to.

Again I've attached Before (top) and After (bottom)

Comments and Crits welcome.

Ruckus

Much better.

Still something about the tires/wheels seems slightly off.  (too black maybe?)  The rotors are definitely too white.

Now I'm just picking on little stuff - great image!

Adam_M

Thank you!

I was going to overlay a carbon-ceramic material over the rotors but I forgot. I need to learn learn how to UV unwrap and make my own textures.

I think the tires looks off cause there's no bump map or anything for the sidewall?

CAClark

Way better now. I'd still push the curves etc to darken under the car more. To my eyes the wheels look ok, but the discs as already mentioned stand out. The tyres could use some textures as well.

I'd also add a CA affect as a last step, but make it mild, just enough to see it, but not enough to be obvious, and also some noise to look a little like film grain / sensor noise.

Cheers!

Adam_M

Here's another attempt.

Adam_M

A little shot of the rear  8)

TpwUK

That's a real good render Adam ... Get's my vote for the best one yet :)

Martin

thomasteger

Agree - but I think the car is a bit too small compared to the building.