Newbie: Cannot see content of jar after Material Change to Plastic

Started by ddolezal, April 09, 2014, 06:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddolezal

Hello everybody,

I just ran into my first severe problem which I could not solve by searching the forum and reading through the hints and tips posted here.

I have a jar with a lid where the content is simulated by simply mapping a texture of jam around an inside object.
As long as the jar has a glass material, everything is fine (except for the inner reflections of the labels in the glass)

So I decided to change the material of the jar from glass to clear plastic.
As soon as I do this, my content object is no longer visible.
I am at a total loss what happens here.

Can perhaps somebody with a few minutes time please have a look at my files and explain to me what happens in my scene an why it happens?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help,

Dieter

ddolezal

PhilippeV8

thomasteger

I am not sure I understand what the issue is. You have an opacity map mapped to the outside of the jar. What is not working for you?

Chad Holton

Hello,

You may just need to play with the plastic values a little more. I attached what I ended up with if you want to check it out. I did scale the filling down a little as it was showing some interference with the jar causing black areas.

Chad

ddolezal

Hello,

detailed indirect Illumination is on.

The problem is better illustrated by the two screens:

If I use Glass as a material for the jar, I can see the content (the jam)
If I use clear Plastic as a material for the jar, I cannot see the content anymore - it becomes black.

Bad Robot

I had this problem myself. I applied the clear plastic material to a car body and some parts of the object showed the problem.