Learning Texturing with my Marshall Amp !

Started by Hellboy1991, April 13, 2014, 01:09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hellboy1991

Here's a new model that i built completely on Wings and used for learning Bump maps and Color maps:
(Still got a lot to improve... )

Corrections/Comments are most welcome ;-) !

TpwUK

There ya go, that's looking much better .... The materials need some better scaling and the bump maps need a little more attention. It's looking great though and has potential. Again there are parts that need smoothing or some SubD applied to them ... Keep it coming so we can watch your progress :)

Martin

edwardo

Dude, thats much better! well done.  The 3D learning curve is a steep one, but do-able, so keep climbing! You've still got one or two tessellation issues, but this is looking like a good start. Your 'knobs' look a bit shiny, try lowering the specular value a bit. The graphics you have mapped on look great though.

I'v not tried Wings, but am a seasoned Rhino user and know it is capable of producing good NURBS surfaces when used correctly - its worth persevering with, and I think practices learned in Rhino would be pretty translatable to other NURBS apps if you ever have to switch (They all do the same things, just in different ways).

Keep climbing
Ed

Hellboy1991

This was built fully in wings, guys... Good to see its finally shining through, though! Here's a development screenshot:

TpwUK

That's a pretty good looking mesh there HellBoy, the only thing i see as a possible bad habit forming is that there is a large 'N-Gon' there on the side. The rest looks pretty goody. Mainly Quads is your goal, and you have achieved that there with the main box. I personally would prefer to see all edges lined up horizontally and vertically, but that's just a personal thing. Keep tweaking n tuning :)

Martin

Hellboy1991

I hate that N-Gon too... Looks like a limitation of Wings when subD'ing ... Will keep trying to improve, Thanks!

Almost forgot This shot:

edwardo

If you use Rhino, get the T-splines plug in. That really helped me bridge the gap between NURBS and SubD's

Hellboy1991

Hellboy1991

Ok: Improved the bump map on the grill up front and lined up the texture on the front panel to the knobs and switches:

TpwUK

The plate on the first image is looking really nice now. The knobs need that scratch texture scaling down and possibly the bump setting may need to higher. The inputs need the plastic to be less glossy, so up the roughness setting. The screws are looking over bright, rough them up a bit too. If you are using Global Illumination, turn that off. Increase the bump more on the front grill.

The plastic corners need roughing up too, too shiny reflective, they will be the parts that get knocked about when on tour, so give them some scratch texture too.

Martin

Hellboy1991

Hellboy1991

Fixing up the shiny parts a bit : just a few tweaks...

TpwUK

It's almost there Hellboy, those corners look loads better but still need the reflectivity dropped, and possibly a little less bump. I am still struggling with the brightness of the screws, they are so bright that they look flat. The knobs and front plate are looking good though.

I think you have the idea now on what to do, the issues you have now are more to do with rushing a little too much. Use your eyes, if it looks right then you are almost there. Walk around your home, look at things with a new inquisitive eye .... Look at the textures, the scratch's the way light reflects, how bright or a dull sheen etc. A great artist has a great eye for detail.

Wax on ... wax off ..... wax on .... wax off

Martin

Hellboy1991

True, Martin... Still working on it to make things look just right... playing around with the bump maps a bit... There's still room for improvement on this one... thanks !

jhiker

Shouldn't the volume knob go up to 11...!!  ;) :)