Main Menu

poweRgear

Started by Chad Holton, September 10, 2010, 12:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul

abolutely stunning!
can someone give me some more details and hints on how to:
- set up exactly this environment (with lightnings)
- the reflection on the floor
- every setting for the metall on the shaft and case  (roughness and so on)

I've showed it to some co-workers and they're amazed as well.

Chad Holton

Thank you, paul!  :) :) :)

I'll attach the environment used below (it was a freebie) and the settings for it are on the first page along with the cast iron settings.

The floor is a separate plane brought in and uses the stainless steel material. The shafts are made of stainless steel as well with the "swirly" bump map on the shaft end. I really cranked up the brightness to give the effect you see, so you will have to make your other materials really dark. I want to note that this is straight out of KeyShot with no editing.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Chad

paul

almost done
but don't get it work to vanish the floor (seperate plane) into the white environment.
I've attached a shot from cad and my first try (without your settings of course)

Chad Holton

Great start.

Try rotating your environment around 180 degrees and crank the brightness up and adjust the gamma also to your liking. The poweRgear unit is being viewed from the dark side.

Also, add a chamfer or radius to every sharp corner, but not a huge value unless it is huge in reality.

paul

well, i don't need the pic anymore, but here is your bump map in action!
a bit aslope but whatever  ;D
btw, it's the lowest settings (fast) possible!

guest84672

Chad Holton

Glad you tried out the swirly bump map. I need to create a better version of it, that one I spent about 30 seconds creating. If you decide to finish out the whole box, please post it!