Main Menu

poweRgear

Started by Chad Holton, September 10, 2010, 12:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad Holton

This particular gearbox was designed in the early 50's - I had modeled it recently and thought I would slap it into KeyShot. Comments and critiques are welcome. Thanks for looking!

EGON

Speedster

There you go again, showing off your great "Painted Cast Iron" texture!  Question- is the end face of the shaft geometry or an applied material?  The Cholton stamped on it is a great touch- thanks as always for sharing.
Bill G

Ed

Fake.  It's a photo  ;)

Ed

KeyShot

Chad Holton

-Thanks, Egon!
-Thanks, Bill! The shaft end face is an applied material. It's one I had made a while back - I thought I would add some chucking marks to it for fun. I'd be happy to share if anyone is interested.
-Thanks, Ed! That's one of the best compliments one can give.  ;)
-Thanks, keyshot!

There are a couple things that I still want to fix with this one, the almost invisible input shaft is one... stay tuned!

Richman

Yes I would be interested in trying out the materials on a test assemblies of mine.  The metal looks great.  What HDRI are you using?   Yeah I would love to try out the (I guessing) Orange peel bump-mapped metal!?

NormanHadley

This is so real, I broke my toe when I dropped the printoff.

jhiker

That is really, really nice! A simple model but stunning rendering.
I'd be interested in trying the materials, too!

Speedster

Oh oh!  Do I detect a stress crack on the shaft, emmanating from the left corner of the keyway?
Bill G

guest84672

Really, really good. Already twittered it.

Thomas

Chad Holton

-Thanks, Richman! The environment is called studio24 and the bumpmap for the cast areas is the stock cast_iron_bump.jpg from the KeyShot library. I'll post a screenshot of the settings for these.
-Ha! Thanks, NormanHadley!
-Thanks, jhiker! It was fairly simple to model too. Don't tell anyone - but there is no output gear inside which makes it an infinity:1 ratio.  :D
-Hey Bill. That's no stress crack - I was trying to mimic a chucking mark (or whatever it's called) on the end of the shaft I see every now and then around here.
-Thanks, Thomas! And thanks for the tweet!

I have attached the settings for the major materials used. The cast iron is using a metallic paint. The swirly is what is used for the shaft end along with the chucking marks and "CHOLTON". I know it's not the best looking texture out there, but it works... Let me know if there's another material you're curious about.

Chad Holton

Here's another view of it.

guest84672

This is excellent - except for one thing: the HDRI. I don't think that the image you are using is an actual HDRI. The brightness is waaaaaay to high for an HDRI. It may just be a jpeg, or more generic, an 8 bit image?

Chad Holton

Thanks, Thomas! The HDRI was set that high to blow out the ground plane to give it the effect you see. I had to crank all the other colors down too.  It did make the input shaft almost vanish in the first image. Probably not the most conventional way to work with an environment, but I like the way it turned out.

BTW - Did those KS cookies taste as good as they looked?