First try with Rhino. Not the last! or: SpaceCruiser

Started by Esben Oxholm, May 14, 2014, 10:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esben Oxholm

Hi Guys.
Had my first try with Rhino tonight, and my jaw literally dropped onto my desk.
The fluency of creating surfaces, blends etc. is so great according to what I'm used to with Creo.
Felt it was like drawing with a pen on paper instead of chopping it in stone. It's definitely not a one night stand :)
Are there any other Rhino users here?

Had, of course, to take the result into KeyShot and Photoshop. Here's the result:

Raw KeyShot:

Hope you like it. Have a great evening!

DriesV

Cool thinghy, Esben!
Yeah, modeling in Rhino is smooth as butter.

Rhino was the first serious CAD tool I ever used. Was around 2006/2007. Sadly haven't used it the last few years.
Funny thing about dropping jaws... Last Friday my own jaw dropped when trying out SpaceClaim for the first time. ;D

Dries

Josh3D

Nice work Esben. Looks great! Same reaction to Rhino & SpaceClaim coming from SolidWorks. I can only imagine the bruise on your jaw after coming from Creo :)

edwardo

Hi, yea I'm a rhino user (almost exclusively). Back in the day I was forced to learn ProE WF2/3. Struggled, got headaches and everything modelled in it looked a bit basic and under cooked (partially due to the fact that the viewport was ONLY in isometric mode??!). And it only goes upto G2, which is duff. So when I switched to rhino life got a whole lot better. I only meant to use it as a stepping stone to learning alias (which i still plan to learn one day), but kept going with it and now its my staple. Rhino gets better and better (and faster) the more tips you pick up. There is loads of good plugins too - take a look at t-splines and grasshopper, and v-ray for rendering (though i shouldn't say that here ;))

Rhino on mac is shaping up very nicely too - super clean interface, fast, reliable, handles big files ok and plays with keyshot real well  ;D. wish they would hurry up and release developers kits for osx so plugins could be written, namely t-splines and keyshot.

Love your space pod thingy... very daft punkish! and great post work too (nice smoke)

cheers
Ed

Robb63

Rhino user here too!!

In addition to using it daily as a product designer, I also teach Rhino part time at the College For Creative Studies in Detroit, and have authored a few Rhino training courses ( http://www.infiniteskills.com/training/rhino-5-advanced-techniques.html ) that take the user from scratch to importing a model into Keyshot (best of both worlds).

Between Rhino and Solidworks there isn't much I can't model. Although I do need to brush up on T-splines for some Sub-D modeling

Esben Oxholm

Thanks for your feedback.
Good to see there are other Rhino users as well. Now I know who to ask noobie-questions  ;D

m2tts

I started on Alias back in the nineties, then learned ProE (yes it was painful to learn, but for the work we do, much easier to make changes to complex models), then used some Rhino along with Pro, and now use SolidWorks almost exclusively. Parametrics is a must. It's been awhile since I've used Rhino; do they have any parametrics in their surfacing tools now?

edwardo

QuoteIt's been awhile since I've used Rhino; do they have any parametrics in their surfacing tools now?

Kind of, it has a system that you 'record' your history for certain features and can go back to change something. I don't use it much to be honest. Parametrics are a must when youv got a boss that can't make up his/her mind and requires daily changes or radai's and such. When you work on your own and have a fairly clear idea in your minds eye of what you want there is no need for parametrics at all.

QuoteI started on Alias back in the nineties, then learned ProE
does this mean you don't use alias at all nowadays? I was considering moving from rhino to alias (certainly for final builds once i was happy with the design). It still looks like the best tool on the market for maximum control over surfaces. Not sure i'll often need to go unto G10 continuity (or whatever alias goes unto), but the option to would be nice.

Cheers
Ed

m2tts

We don't use alias now. From what I understand, Rhino is built on the same engine as Rhino, so you're not going to any better surfaces out of Alias than you can out of Rhino. In my experience in getting things made from my data, Alias did not do a great job of making surface boundaries match. ProE, though constrained to 3rd degree surfacing, makes much better surfaces for subsequent manufacturing. Your not going to be making any car bodies with Pro though.

I can't live without parametrics, even where surfacing is concerned. Overall dimensions of organic forms can change on a daily basis here; as well as doing iterations of ergonomic areas that is just so much faster by changing dimensions of a well built model.

SolidWorks 2014 has a new bezier curve type that can make higher order curves now than it's default of 3rd degree. Continuity between surfaces is still restricted to C2 (whatever the designation is for curvature continuity).

lazer

Great render, I have been playing with Rhino for just a few months, I have the Autodesk Design Suite and Alias is included so I use that at work among others mainly Inventor. I like Rhino because I can jump in and out of solid and surfacing and that can be handy in quick product design. If you are thinking of jumping into Alias then set aside time and lots of it, Alias has an interface that can be quite a challenge. Work spent £2000 on me to learn it last year and I am still only getting the hang of it.