gradation across multiple objects

Started by Pepster3D, May 22, 2014, 01:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepster3D

I've attached a sample image to show you what I'm looking to accomplish in Keyshot.

Is there a way to apply a gradation texture onto multiple shapes, as if they were 1 shape?  In other words if I have 50 circles in a grid pattern, can I apply a gradation to them as a whole instead of 50 separate gradation?  So the gradation will go from the right of the screen to the left covering all circles as if they were 1 object?

Thanks!

edwardo

Just make sure all the surfaces are grouped/the same colour/in the same layer when you export them from your CAD package of choice.

thomasteger

Sorry for the delayed response, Darlene. Took a break from racing to answer your post - LOL.

You can simply a material at the top level of the model in the scene tree, or copy and paste with link (shift left click / shift right click) any material that you applied to one of the squares. Then you can treat the objects as one single object.

I hope this helps.

Pepster3D

Thank you Edwardo and Thomas!  I'll give it a whirl. :-*

Pepster3D

Hi-OK, it's not working for me.  I've attached a screen capture of my scene.  A group of squares with the same material ID but the texture is treated separately by each square even though they are in the same group.

thomasteger

You imported this as a single file I assume?

Pepster3D

Yes-I made the squares in 3DS Max and grouped them.  Exported them via the Keyshot plugin as a bip.  All 1 file.

thomasteger

Pepster3D

Sure, here's a file. I tried grouping the squares a few different ways, but still can't get 1 gradation across all shapes.

Thanks!

thomasteger

Thanks. Can you send the original CAD file so we can look at that too?

Pepster3D

The original file is in 3DS Max.  Do you want a max file or do you want 3ds or obj?

thomasteger

The Max file please. We have it here.

Pepster3D

Here's a max file...

Rex

This appears to be a bug with the 3ds bip exporter. If I export as obj it works fine.

Pepster3D

Weird.  OK I'll try obj.  Thanks T