Keyshot 5 colour shadows with sunlight

Started by quigley, June 05, 2014, 08:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quigley

Just starting to get to play with KS5 now and thought I'd try to do something using the new sun lighting feature. On the attached images the canopy has a modelled ground plane, and I have set a sun location of London for 3rd June at 2pm. The roof glazing panels are solid glass except the two different coloured panels which are just Glass, with 2 sided checked.

This could be a great new feature (the sunlight) but the results are disappointing "out the box". A few issues:

1. It is hard/impossible to control the intensity of the coloured ground shadow.
2. With Caustics Off, the ground shadow is solid grey - no consideration for the colour or the transparency of the solid glass material - it treats it like opaque material. Yet the glass material does the opposite and makes it completely transparent.
3. The shadow colour effect is wrong - the glass material has no colour, the solid glass material shows a colour hue on the posts (correct) but grey on the ground (modelled ground).

On the file Glass - the material was changed to Glass, 2 sided NOT checked, and Caustics off. This shows the transparency very nicely on the ground but no colour effects.

Currently to do this kind of stuff we use Modo. I was really hoping to be able to switch over to Keyshot especially with the perspective matching, but it is impossible with these effects in place.

Anything I'm doing wrong, or is this just not working as it should?

Rex

Hey quigley,

Thank you for sharing your findings. This has indeed led me to a a few bugs that I have filed for development. Are you using the Ground material for your modeled ground? You can control the intensity of the colored ground shadow by adjusting the contrast of the environment. Do you have Ground Illumination enabled? This should show the colors of the material in the shadows; although, at the moment caustics are not working with the "Glass" material so caustics should be off. See below:

quigley

Thanks for that. I wasn't using the Ground material - is that a new one? Is this like a Shadow Catcher in other apps? The important thing is to "clip everything below ground plane" when using that otherwise it comes out as a dark block. Turn clipping on and it works great.

thomasteger

Ground material has been around for quite some time. I guess you can call it shadow catcher, but it is more than that.