Main Menu

GI cache bug

Started by andy.engelkemier, June 10, 2014, 07:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

reuse GI cache gets checked automatically. Thanks, but I've changed my materials, so the result should change.
Naturally, I uncheck that box....but GI samples is still grayed out.

I noticed this the other day when my coworker was getting some GI issues with really tight parting lines. I said to increase the GI quality. We had to save, close keyshot, then reopen to fix that. It Did fix the problem, but that's not an ideal workflow. Then again....keyshot opens files about 20x faster than the software we were using a few weeks ago.  ::)

KeyShot

We do not reuse the gi cache between sessions? Can you say more about what kind of issue you are seeing? Is it resolved when you restart KeyShot?

andy.engelkemier

I know you don't reuse between sessions. That's why restarting keyshot fixes it.
But I don't want to reuse it if it was no good to begin with. If I render with 1 GI quality, but need 3, I have to restart keyshot in order to change it. Unchecking the "reuse GI" doesn't do anything. I think it Should allow you to adjust the GI settings.

KeyShot

There is no 'reuse GI cache' option. It is an option whether to *use* the GI cache or not. If you do not use the GI cache then you cannot adjust the quality of it.

andy.engelkemier

sorry, yes. it says Use, not Reuse. But I think you're confusing some things here.
The GI quality setting is Not controlling the quality of the GI cache, which is probably why it is grayed out when GI cache is being used.

What I'm saying, is you can not choose to not use GI cache after your first render. It automatically turns itself on, then unchecking it does not change the ability to control the quality of GI, which Remains unavailable.

KeyShot

The global illumination quality setting does control the quality of the GI cache.

I cannot reproduce any of the issue you report. I suggest you contact support@luxion.com to show more specifically what the issue is.

andy.engelkemier

Maybe I'm just not understanding what is intended to happen.

Rex

Andy,

Where does it say "use"? In order for the GI slider to be enabled you must have Global Illumination enabled in the Project>settings tab. Does this solve the issue?

Rex

KeyShot

You need to enable global illumination under settings to be able to adjust the quality.

andy.engelkemier

That is quite interesting. I Was rendering with GI. I'm not sure how it got turned off when I took that screen grab, but trying to replicate it on another machine I now see how it works. I wonder if it was just a random error.
I've been getting a problem here and there where I hit render, nothing happens, and it doesn't seem locked up, but I can't get it to respond. It's like a hidden window is waiting for user interaction, but I can't access it. I've tried Alt+F4 with no results. Anywhere I click within Keyshot, the render menu flashes as if there is another window open.

Assuming it happens again I will try hitting enter. I wonder if the "overwrite" warning is popping up behind the main screen or something like that. Please let me know if you guys experience that problem as well. I haven't had it enough to figure out the cause, and don't know of a solution. So I'm just saving every time before renders.

Rex

I experienced this with a BETA build of KeyShot 5 but haven't seen it happen in a couple months. Are you running 5.0.80?

andy.engelkemier

Had to double check, but yes. 5.0.80
Good to know I'm not the only one who tends to break things.

Rex

Let us know if you are able to reproduce the issue reliably

Thanks