KS 5 constantly crashing

Started by Speedster, June 16, 2014, 07:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Had a lot of crashes with KS5.  BOXX, with 32 cores and 64 gigs of RAM.  Arbitrary- If I hide the model to render only the backplate, duplicate model, change material properties, actually almost anything can trigger a crash.  What's really irritating is that when I re-open after a crash, all my viewsets are lost.  The viewsets are in the tree, but they have all defaulted to the Start-up HDR, and backplates, etc. are gone.

Can't send a .ksp, as it's happened with a number of different SolidWorks files.

Also, SolidWorks updates seem to dump in an overlying duplicate (with the changes) which appear within the tree and can be deleted if you can find them.

I know this will sort out...

Bill G

Esben Oxholm

+1

Crashes often here as well.
Typically when changing material and environment.

Speedster

Yes, material and/or environment changes seem to be the most common.
Bill G

Esben Oxholm

I've managed to create a scene, that crashes almost no matter what I do. Try to turn some elements on/off in the scene tree. Crash.
Try to change material. Crash. Try to... You get the point.

It's nothing important. I was just doodling around trying out some of the new texture features.
I thought it might be helpful to you (KeyShot guys) to have the scene, to do some troubleshooting on the crash problems

Get the bip here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2aRkqiOlEoOWjJjaWQ3TnlMRFE/edit?usp=sharing

Rex

Thank you for this. It appears that when the "Lights" group is set to show it causes a crash every time. I have filed the scene with development and will keep you posted on fixes.

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on June 19, 2014, 03:54:59 AM
I've managed to create a scene, that crashes almost no matter what I do. Try to turn some elements on/off in the scene tree. Crash.
Try to change material. Crash. Try to... You get the point.

It's nothing important. I was just doodling around trying out some of the new texture features.
I thought it might be helpful to you (KeyShot guys) to have the scene, to do some troubleshooting on the crash problems

Get the bip here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2aRkqiOlEoOWjJjaWQ3TnlMRFE/edit?usp=sharing

Speedster

Adding to the KS5 frustration- every time I reopen a previous KS5 .bip, all Saved Viewset environments have trashed, to be replaced with Startup. Thank God I still have KS4 to get my work done, even though I have to start over as KS5 is not (as expected) backwardly compatible.
Bill G

KeyShot

Can you contact us at beta@luxion.com, so we can set you up with the latest build to ensure the issues you are seeing have been resolved?

andy.engelkemier

Quote from: Speedster on June 20, 2014, 02:57:24 AM
Adding to the KS5 frustration- every time I reopen a previous KS5 .bip, all Saved Viewset environments have trashed, to be replaced with Startup. Thank God I still have KS4 to get my work done, even though I have to start over as KS5 is not (as expected) backwardly compatible.
Bill G

Same problem. All of last nights renderings were no good. The same thing happens when rendering those with the queue.
At least I'm finding out that it's not just me. I wish these things were posted in rants though. I keep an eye out there to see what things to avoid. I guess I'll read here more often.

Speedster

I don't use Rants, as that's a bit brutal with nasty hateful leanings.  There are issues with any new release, and in my past experience, the KeyShot Team works their arses off to resolve them, and always do.  Maybe a "Bug Report" thread instead?
Bill G

andy.engelkemier

Well good news for you then. It looks like they removed the rants board.  ;)

Speedster

Yep, and the latest update 5.0.95 appears to be vary docile- not a single crash yet!  Am having problems with Area and point Diffuse and IES lights, however- REALLY blows everything out, even with power setting all the way down to 0.00001.  I'm sure it's something to do with Model Units, but no luck tweaking them yet.
Bill G

Esben Oxholm

Turning on Focused caustics leads to crashes pretty often for me in various scenes.