Formula Student racing car - BGR 2014

Started by BoazD, June 21, 2014, 01:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoazD

Hello everyone!

My name is Boaz Dekel and I'm an Industrial Design student from the Bezalel Academy in Jerusalem, Israel.

I'm new to the forum, but what better way is there to introduce myself than to show some work?

This car has been designed by yours truly in cooperation with engineering students from the Ben-Gurion university in Israel.
It is being fabricated as we speak, and will compete in the F-SAE events in Austria and Italy this summer.

Design was a very long process and I only had 2~3 days to produce the renderings so I'd love to hear your feedback and constructive criticism.

Either way I'm quite proud of this project, it is certainly my most elaborate rendering work so far!

Modeled in Solidworks, rendered in KeyShot 4 (with post done in Photoshop)

Speedster

Welcome, Boaz! Thanks for sharing a true masterpiece of design and rendering with us! To be honest, it's going to be hard for any of us to find criticism, for this is professional work at the highest level. Please share more!
Bill G

TpwUK

Beautifully done Boaz, offer praise to your engineering design team too. Excellent introduction too :)

Martin

BoazD

Quote from: Speedster on June 21, 2014, 02:34:18 AM
Welcome, Boaz! Thanks for sharing a true masterpiece of design and rendering with us! To be honest, it's going to be hard for any of us to find criticism, for this is professional work at the highest level. Please share more!
Bill G

Quote from: TpwUK on June 21, 2014, 03:03:53 AM
Beautifully done Boaz, offer praise to your engineering design team too. Excellent introduction too :)

Martin

Thank you two very much! I couldn't think of bigger compliments or wish for a warmer welcome to the forum. I really appreciate it. This project has been a few months in the making with some very long nights and not without frustrations as you can imagine. There's only a small time gap in which I can brag with these renderings, after which the actual running car will steal the show ;)

Speedster

Try showing it in context!  I'll bet you have some great backplate photos to use, and it's a great learning curve in perspective matching and environment.
Bill G

BoazD

What do you mean "showing it in context"?
I actually did not use backplates in these renderings, I rendered on a black background as PNG files with transparency added the finishing touches in photoshop.

kana

Jolie travail sur la modelisation et le rendu , mais dans quelle categorie elle cours cette sportive ?

Speedster

QuoteWhat do you mean "showing it in context"?

Sorry- the black presentation is stunning!  What I meant was to show it in the "real world", like in a pit box, out on the track, that kind of thing. Place it in a backplate photo- see how others have shown cars "in context", especially those shared here on the Forum by Feher and Egon, for example.  Show it with your competitor's cars (in a backplate photo), which of course will make your shine and stand out!

Bill G

Josh3D

Hey Boaz! Nice to see you on here. Great work. Really looking forward to more!

BoazD

Quote from: kana on June 22, 2014, 09:08:18 AM
Jolie travail sur la modelisation et le rendu , mais dans quelle categorie elle cours cette sportive ?

This car is compliant with the Formula-SAE regulations and will race in the events in Austria (https://fsaustria.at/fsa-2014/registered-teams/) and Italy (http://www.ata.it/en/formulaata/view/21/formula-sae-italy-formula-electric-italy-2014/iscritti/) this summer. It's car number 55. It'll race in class 1C (combustion engine). I hope I understood your question correctly (google translate..)

Quote from: Speedster on June 22, 2014, 09:41:27 AM
QuoteWhat do you mean "showing it in context"?

Sorry- the black presentation is stunning!  What I meant was to show it in the "real world", like in a pit box, out on the track, that kind of thing. Place it in a backplate photo- see how others have shown cars "in context", especially those shared here on the Forum by Feher and Egon, for example.  Show it with your competitor's cars (in a backplate photo), which of course will make your shine and stand out!

Bill G

Thanks again Bill. I just read the piece written about you by BOXX and went on to watch the youtube video on the 1927 Miller model. Truly inspiring work!

In-context shots are of course a great idea (and challenge) but I'm afraid I'll have to train my backplate muscles on a later project ;) Being an open car, it's a bit strange to have it in a "real life" situation with no driver - All the action goodness of wheels spinning and motion blur goes out the window with an empty cockpit... I promise in-context shots for later works, and looking forward for your take on them!

Quote from: josh3d on June 23, 2014, 06:48:45 AM
Hey Boaz! Nice to see you on here. Great work. Really looking forward to more!

Thank you! A friend of mine with the same first name (Boaz Zemer) introduced me to this forum. I'm glad he did =]

Speedster

QuoteBeing an open car, it's a bit strange to have it in a "real life" situation with no driver

Simple solution- show it in the Winner's Circle"!  Of course you'll have to model a huge trophy!
Bill G

BoazD

Quote from: Speedster on June 23, 2014, 04:06:12 PM
QuoteBeing an open car, it's a bit strange to have it in a "real life" situation with no driver

Simple solution- show it in the Winner's Circle"!  Of course you'll have to model a huge trophy!
Bill G

haha excellent!  :D

Magnus Skogsfjord

Wow, this was awesome! Fantastic renders.

We have an identical project at our university as well, where I was supposed to do some renderings. Turned out that the model was so heavy that my computer just froze when I tried to import it :p Better upgrade my hardware, I guess.

BoazD

Quote from: MagnusS on June 25, 2014, 04:27:04 AM
Wow, this was awesome! Fantastic renders.

We have an identical project at our university as well, where I was supposed to do some renderings. Turned out that the model was so heavy that my computer just froze when I tried to import it :p Better upgrade my hardware, I guess.

Yeah, I had that same problem last year. I had to delete every part in the model that wasn't crucial to the exterior visuals to lighten it up a bit and even then my computer barely handled it. This time I'm on a nicer machine ;)

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: BoazD on June 25, 2014, 08:26:01 AM
Yeah, I had that same problem last year. I had to delete every part in the model that wasn't crucial to the exterior visuals to lighten it up a bit and even then my computer barely handled it. This time I'm on a nicer machine ;)

I tried that strategy myself, but there were so many geometrical goodies that were visible, so I just had to turn down the task:p Two weeks notice didn't exactly help either. That being said, it was an incredible model, as yours.