mapping bended wood

Started by Asger Troest, June 21, 2014, 06:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asger Troest

Hi I am new in here.
I have been looking desperately for a way to control bended wood. I want the grain to follow the bend, I can't figure out the right way to map it. Can anybody help me ?
Below are some pictures of my problem, first is box mapping and the second is plan mapping, but as you can it's not right at all.
Br. Asger. T

Despot

You will need to UV map the model, this cannot be done inside KeyShot.

Although lots of 3D packages support this, 3dsmax, Cinema 4D, Modo, Blender (free)

If you upload the .bip I might be able to export the geometry and map it for you

J

Asger Troest

Yes when I use UV map it just turns it in to one color.
My main use for KS is to render furniture, I have made in SolidWorks, so there is a lot of different  bended wood. But if I can't render it in KS, maybe it's better to use one of the programs you suggest ? Or is it easy to export the geometry and map it, as your saying. I mean for every different piece of bended wood I have, I will need to do that. It sounds like a long process.
Thanks for your reply.
Br. Asger T

Asger Troest

What i really need is to make it look like the pics below. Is that possible ?

fario

Hello,

So try the wood procedural texture in the options.

Antoine

DriesV

I think the current procedural wood can't account for bends...
The procedurals only work for parts machined out of a solid chunk of wood.

Dries

Asger Troest

Thanks for the inputs, I feel like have been trying everything, the closest I can get is using wood grain textures and apply it as bump. But it's not really good at all. I think i might try Indigo-renderer that's the software used for pics above.

Asger T 

DriesV

QuoteI think i might try Indigo-renderer that's the software used for pics above.
You would still have to go through the hassle of UV mapping the model and creating custom textures. :)
Not a single renderer will do this automagically.

Dries

Asger Troest

Quote from: The Metal Master on June 22, 2014, 05:24:17 AM
You will need to UV map the model, this cannot be done inside KeyShot.

Although lots of 3D packages support this, 3dsmax, Cinema 4D, Modo, Blender (free)

If you upload the .bip I might be able to export the geometry and map it for you

J

So it will not be possible with any of these programs neither ?

Asger T

TpwUK

Yes it's possible to UV unwrap and create materials in all the apps that DriesV mentioned to you.

He was just trying to save you some time trying to use another render app that will still not be able to achieve what you want without the UV and custom texture/material maps that it will need.

Martin

Robb63

It's not possible in any other tenderer to apply a wood material and have it follow your form in the way you want.
For all of the render programs, you will have to make a custom textures based on a UV map

Asger Troest

Ok I see, there is no easy way around it, I have to put in some work  :) Thanks a lot fore all the replies.

Asger T

Despot

You don't need to use Indigo... this was UV mapped in Cinema 4D and rendered in KeyShot

RecorderDoc

Hello,

how did you get the perfect layer-lines of the playwood on the small sides of the chair?

This is the realistic look of plywood I am looking for.

runesag

Did you ever figure this out? I'm wondering the exact same thing.