Down and Dirty in KeyShot 5

Started by Speedster, June 23, 2014, 03:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Finally had some time to dig into KeyShot 5 Pro.  After about 1/2 hour I thought of an interesting story- in the late 1880's, the United States Congress debated closing the U. S. Patent Office as "everything had already been invented, so it was no longer needed"!

Kinda like KeyShot 5. It is simply mind-blowing, but I wonder if the Luxion Wizards have left any headroom?  Actually, knowing them as I do since day one, they have a LOT of tricks in the pipeline.

Anyway, I dug out an old SolidWorks model that I have never been able to render well.  Showing it here as "freshly restored" and ready for museum display.  The last shot, however, is my target- old paint with a fine old patina, ditto the steel work, slightly pitted.  I know I'll succeed this time in KS5.

The "Curvature Procedural" is way over the top!  I used it for all the bronze.  But it's less effective when you have right angles and smaller fillets, like the cylinder "standards", the flanged vertical supports.  There's still a lot to learn!

Runs 1.3 million polys @ 112 fps on 32 cores.

Bill G

GDBranch

What is it?
I'm in the process of creating a 3D model of a 1900 Locomobile engine.
There are quite a few similarities with your model except for the wooden
slats in the cylinder area.
Gary

TpwUK

Nice work Bill, KS5 will deliver the goods on materials and shaders that you need this time round on this model for sure.

Martin

Despot

Nice one Bill... you know I would love to work on one of your models for texturing and lighting tests if you'd let me  ;)

J

Speedster

QuoteWhat is it?
Gary, it's an 1879 Twin Cylinder 7" bore x 7" stroke (known as a "square") Simple (non-condensing) Steam Launch Engine.  Used for small ships up to about 40 foot, at about 5 to 7 knots.  To the best of my knowledge it has never been built, but is very typical of the era, except that the "inside linkage" is quite rare, and a bugger to service and adjust.  I found it in a book on drafting technique, published in London in 1879, and intended for advanced draftsmanship training for 12 to 15 year old budding engineers. 

Looking forward to seeing your Locomobile engine (and hopefully auto as well!), one of my favorites.  They were very well engineered and crafted, and quite robust and powerful.  And SO simple!  FYI- the wood "lagging" on the cylinders was common with more highly finished "launch" engines, and the cylinder heads were packed with felt, wood or asbestos insulation.  Seldom used on workhorse or steam auto engines like yours.  This image shows it without the lagging.

My target image is a printing press, same vintage, one of many reference shots I have taken.

Bill G

Despot

QuoteNice one Bill... you know I would love to work on one of your models for texturing and lighting tests if you'd let me

Or perhaps not  :(

Speedster

QuoteOr perhaps not  :(
You spoke too soon!  I have a package of a different model, my "1862 Porter-Allen Steam Mill Engine" ready for you to play with. As you know, I don't share my work often, but I know we all would really love to see what you come up with, and this is a perfect development platform!  PM me with your contact, and I'll send it via Hightail.  It's only 865,000 polys, so it's not huge- the .bip is only 11 MB.  My engine here is almost 200 MB!

I think it will provide a lot of new materials, like leather belt drive, nice "curvature" surfaces, steel, brass and bronze- lot's of goodies to play with!  But you have to promise to share them on the Cloud!

I ask only that you not distribute the .ksp or resultant .bip (except with me!), nor export as an STL or other format. But I know you would not anyway!

Bill G

Despot

Great !! thanks Bill that's very kind of you, can't wait...

Send me a PM and I'll give you my email address...

J

Speedster

In context in the Edison machine shop at The Henry Ford Museum, Dearborn, Michigan.  They just finished assembling it...
Bill G

Chad Holton

Very nice, Bill!  :)

The wife and I took the kids there last summer (Henry Ford museum) - Great place to visit with all kinds of interesting things going on. Wish I would have allocated more time to spend there. They did a demonstration outside Henry's first workshop showing a replica of his first combustion engine (without the kitchen sink). Funny how he built the first car larger than his garage door.  ;D

Josh3D

Love the results you're getting Bill. The model is incredible!

Magnus Skogsfjord

Agreeing with Josh; Incredible!

TpwUK

One of your finest renders Bill - Top Shot mate :)

Martin