Curvature Procedural

Started by jhiker, June 24, 2014, 12:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhiker

Is there any instruction anywhere on using the 'Curvature Procedural'. I've seen some stunning 'metallic' images posted here but I haven't a clue how to use it  ;)
Can't see anything in 'Tutorials' or 'Quick Tips' on the Keyshot help pages

Speedster

It's found in the "Texture Type" drop down on the Textures tab.  First apply a material, like brass or something. Double click on the part (material), go to the Texture tab and Scroll down and select "Curvature". The window provides three colors- Negative, Zero and Positive.  Here's where the magic happens!  Just fool around with the colors.  Kick up the Cutoff quite a bit.  Or not.  Use a bump or not.  Just play with the settings, and you'll be amazed! I used glass on the other pump body.

Hope this helps...
Bill G

jhiker

Cheers, Bill.
A bit more practice required - but I can see  the potential  ;)
Thanks.

Despot

Nice one Bill...

QuoteA bit more practice required - but I can see  the potential

Hi jhiker, I posted a few curvature renders in this thread here :

https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php/topic,8485.0.html

Gonna upload them to KS Cloud very soon

Cheers

J

jhiker

Yeah - I saw them and was blown away!

jeffw

My understanding from reading the manual is that while it says "Procedural textures are customizable textures" this refers only to the textures that come with the stock KeyShot procedurals. I.E one cannot use your own textures. In my case I cannot use procedural for ceramic tiles. It looks like KeyShot 5 still will not apply tiles evenly on a variable radius curved surface. I wonder if this will ever be possible.

Despot

Quote"Procedural textures are customizable textures" this refers only to the textures that come with the stock KeyShot procedurals. I.E one cannot use your own textures

Procedural textures are mathematically generated using algorithms - they are not 'bitmap' based, so therefore you cannot use your own image textures...

QuoteKeyShot 5 still will not apply tiles evenly on a variable radius curved surface. I wonder if this will ever be possible

This can be achieved by UV mapping your model outside of KeyShot, in another 3D package

jeffw

Ok that helps better explain procedurals.

As to UV mapping. All my models come from SolidEdge and to my knowledge it has no UV mapping capabilities other than surface position and scale of the textures. It sounds like I would need something like Zbrush to do what you are saying. Is that right?

Despot

QuoteIt sounds like I would need something like Zbrush to do what you are saying. Is that right?

ZBrush is not the ideal candidate for UV mapping... You can get free UV mapping tools, or packages like Cinema 4D, Modo, Lightwave etc have this capability.

Blender is another one, and it's free...

Bear in mind though that you would have to export your model from SolidEdge into KeyShot, then use the export .OBJ feature to get your model into any of the packages mentioned above.

J