Black Spots on Model

Started by MosaDawas, June 30, 2014, 09:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MosaDawas

I'm very new to 3D designing, and this is my first time using KeyShot 5 Pro, and I love it. Absolutely love it, although I have one problem.

On some models, when I apply a material, big black spots pollute the model.

Here is an example:

It doesn't go away once rendered, either. Here is a picture of it post-render (the product isn't finished, I just wanted to experiment and I can't continue with the product until this issue is resolved).

I don't know what the grey areas on the rendered image are (maybe transparency), it doesn't look that way on my laptop.

Rex

Hi Mosa,

Welcome to the forum! What material are you using? It looks like you have a color map texture applied in which the scale needs to be reduced. Double-click on the material to open the material editor, go to the texture tab, select the color map, and reduce the scale. Let me know if this helps.

Rex

MosaDawas

Quote from: Rex on June 30, 2014, 09:55:35 AM
Hi Mosa,

Welcome to the forum! What material are you using? It looks like you have a color map texture applied in which the scale needs to be reduced. Double-click on the material to open the material editor, go to the texture tab, select the color map, and reduce the scale. Let me know if this helps.

Rex

Hello, Rex.

I am using a downloaded material from the KeyShot Cloud entitled, "Gold 24k Brushed". I can't find "color map" anywhere, it's not in any of the drop-downs either, but I left it as it is and reduced the scale which was originally set to "1", but as you can see, it hasn't changed anything on the model.

Rex

Quote from: MosaDawas on June 30, 2014, 10:49:05 AM

I am using a downloaded material from the KeyShot Cloud entitled, "Gold 24k Brushed". I can't find "color map" anywhere, it's not in any of the drop-downs either, but I left it as it is and reduced the scale which was originally set to "1", but as you can see, it hasn't changed anything on the model.

Strange. Can you "Save Package" and send the .ksp to rex@luxion.com for me to take a look at?

Thanks

MosaDawas

Strange. Can you "Save Package" and send the .ksp to rex@luxion.com for me to take a look at?

Thanks

Absolutely. I have emailed you the package.

Thank you.

Rex

Looks totally fine for me. If you DnD materials from the library onto the part does it give the same spotted effect? Do the spots appear on the other geometry as well or just the mask?

MosaDawas

Quote from: Rex
Looks totally fine for me. If you DnD materials from the library onto the part does it give the same spotted effect? Do the spots appear on the other geometry as well or just the mask?

I'm sorry, I don't know what "DnD" means.

Below, is a screenshot. I tried applying the same material from the face plate of the helmet to the stand, and the same spots appeared, but less bold and large. So, I put other materials on instead, and it's no different.

I have noticed something, when I try adding a geometry from 'Edit > Add Geometry', the spots decrease considerably in boldness and mass, even though the selected geometry doesn't appear.

Also, take a look at this. I added another material before writing this reply, and it showed spots, but now I looked back at it, and it had gone completely.

Rex

DnD = drag and drop. Try using the brushed gold material that is included in the KeyShot library. It uses a procedural texture instead of a traditional texture map so the results should be better. How many cores does your computer have? Have you tried to render any images? This may just be a matter of giving the material enough time to res-up.

MosaDawas

I just tried that, and it didn't work, but anyway, I downloaded the material I used from the cloud and then DnD'd it onto the model.

Here is my laptop technical specs: .

Also, I have rendered other images (image below). In fact, I noticed that the wheels had them spots but white and smaller, but after rendering, it had gone. Unfortunately, it didn't work out like that with the Iron Man model.

DriesV

Wow, new to 3D and already KS5 Pro + Animation + VR. Pretty big investment. ;)

Dries

Rex

Ahh you're on an AMD machine! Have you updated to 5.0.97? it includes a major fix for AMD processors.

Rex

Despot

Yes Dries, 3D newbies must have dosh to burn nowadays... ;)

J

MosaDawas

Quote from: DriesV on June 30, 2014, 02:55:40 PM
Wow, new to 3D and already KS5 Pro + Animation + VR. Pretty big investment. ;)

Dries

Indeed. I just love softwares that allow me to create all that I want. I'm very familiar with editing and designing images from scratch, and I know how to do 3D stuff in theory, but I have never actually put it into action, and this allows me to.

Quote from: Rex on June 30, 2014, 03:09:37 PM
Ahh you're on an AMD machine! Have you updated to 5.0.97? it includes a major fix for AMD processors.

Rex

Yes, I have KeyShot version 5.0.97.0.

Rex

Mosa,

Thanks for sharing this information. It appears there are still some issues with AMD processers that were not addressed with the patch release. We are working on a new update to solve this.

MosaDawas

Quote from: Rex
Mosa,

Thanks for sharing this information. It appears there are still some issues with AMD processers that were not addressed with the patch release. We are working on a new update to solve this.

Okay, thank you very much for your assistance. Do you happen to know when an update with the fix will be released?