3D engraving material

Started by reqdqe, July 01, 2014, 08:20:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reqdqe

Hi!

Anyboody knows how to do material like 3D engraving inside glass?
For example this bull.

Thank you!

TpwUK

I would do a simple glass with procedural scratches applied if you are on KS5 ?

Martin

reqdqe

Martin, it would be very cool!)
Yes, I'm on KS5.

reqdqe

Maybe someone has a solution, because a solution is not found?

Esben Oxholm

My guess is that you can't do this inside KeyShot.

If I read the model correct it's like a 3d-point-cloud inside a glass cube, right?
If so I think you have to model the glass cube and 3d-point-cloud inside your CAD-software if it is possible to do so.

Best,
Esben

Will Gibbons

I've nothing to add (solution-wise) but would be a cool 'challenge'... Maybe we should choose really difficult objects and have contests every quarter to see who can get the closest to replication without any post...

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: willgibbonsdesign on October 20, 2015, 10:21:45 AM
I've nothing to add (solution-wise) but would be a cool 'challenge'... Maybe we should choose really difficult objects and have contests every quarter to see who can get the closest to replication without any post...

Would be quite cool I think.
I'm up for it.

richardfunnell

Here's how I would attempt something like this, JPG & KSP attached.
I snagged a bull model off the 3D Warehouse (https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=e88e8068dd54a0a45778775dfd5ca46a) and made a quick box around it in SketchUp.

From there the crystal/cube was a solid glass material, and the bull material was made using the Xray material plus a noise texture for bump & opacity. It's not a true point cloud, but it's decently convincing IMHO :)
Increasing the Ray Bounces, Shadow quality, and enabling Global Illumination all helped.

Hope this works!

Will Gibbons

Aaaannndddd Richard nails it. That's a great solution!

Speedster

Interesting challenge! 

There's an older Hispanic artist here in Santa Fe who is a Master Engraver.  He now works with reverse engraving in acrylic blocks and panels. His work is astounding!  He even carves two matching cavities in two blocks, the laminate bonds them together!

Being a SolidWorker, I would likely insert the bull as a Solid Body (not merged) into a block and then use the Insert>Mold>Cavity command to create the void.  Then break the cavity relationship and delete the body.  Then I would section the block and map the void surfaces.  Rejoin the halves and into KeyShot.

This sounds like a neat challenge, and I'm sure many of us will dive in!

Bill G

reqdqe

Wow guys, thanks, so many replies!;)
Model from the first post it's not a point cloud, it's render of model from warehouse, made in Maxwell Renderer. I try to repeat this result in Keyshot.
My best Keyshot result in attachment. What do you think about it? Maybe that's enough and I'm just an idealist?:)
I'll just do an engraving inside the glass by myself (optical glass, not acrylic), and possibly pick on result.