Another magazine cover

Started by Speedster, July 15, 2014, 03:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Guess what?  Another magazine cover. And ANOTHER train! Duh...

SolidWorks + KS5 Pro (5.0.99) + CS5.  116,309,339 polys @ 11.7 GB file size. "Bright Forest" HDRI, heavily tweaked in Edit HDR.  4800 wide rendered in about 20 minutes on 32 cores, BOXX computer.  Fully loaded and painted (with nasty materials), it runs @ 49 fps on 32 cores.

Bill G

Rex

Incredible work Bill! We would love to have this as a demo scene for Siggraph. Is that something you'd be up for?

rodesk

cool. enough to change the first version

Angelo

very nice bill!! 32 cores?! i wish i had that kind of power!

Speedster

QuoteWe would love to have this as a demo scene for Siggraph. Is that something you'd be up for?

It would be an honor, Rex.  I well remember the audience reaction when folks saw Marco's self-portrait up on the huge screen, then turned around to see him standing behind them- very funny reactions!  Email me- I tried to email you, but the Forum would not send.  Thomas has my address, and you likely do as well.

FYI- I made the deadline, and this will be the September cover of the popular modeler magazine Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette.

Quotecool. enough to change the first version
Thanks!  The other shot, of a different locomotive, was published as the cover of the March/April issue of the NG&SLG.

Bill G

rodesk

el fondo necesita desenfoque :D

requires background blur

Speedster

Quoterequires background blur
Good point.  However, back in the 1880's they always shot at about f22 or greater, as I always do even today, so essentially everything within the image is quite sharp. That's also the reason I don't use DOF. But I'll try it, and thanks for the suggestion- the background is a bit sharp.

One of the neat things about my work on old stuff is that it's the first time we have seen historical subjects in color.  We knew what the colors were from builder's cards and colored lithographs, but never in the context of a "camera".

Bill G

rodesk

waiting to see more work from you, greetings