Various renders (+ Banner Designs)

Started by Magnus Skogsfjord, July 28, 2014, 04:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slater

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on December 22, 2014, 07:40:15 AM
Did a quick modeling exercise with the new Realize Shape capability in NX, by modeling the apple earpods.

Rendered in KeyShot.
Great model and realistic render man...
I use nx 9 too, but i think i didn't understand what is the new realize shape capability???

PhilippeV8

Wow !  I picked that model for the speed contest.  I had no idea it was still being worked on.  And it is great to see that it did get someone inspired afterall  ;) ;D

That being said .. I understand the pointers Esben makes, however .. personaly, I still like the first shot better.  Somehow I kinda like the effect of knowing "where the light comes from".  And I don't know why, but even tho it hasn't changed, the contrast of the lighting hitting the robot itself seems a lot harsher in the smoke-shots.  Weird cuz if you look in detail, it's exactly the same.  It's just the feeling I get when lookin.

In the end I think the smoke can work, but perhaps the lighting should/can be changed ?

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: slater on May 03, 2015, 12:58:55 PM
Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on December 22, 2014, 07:40:15 AM
Did a quick modeling exercise with the new Realize Shape capability in NX, by modeling the apple earpods.

Rendered in KeyShot.
Great model and realistic render man...
I use nx 9 too, but i think i didn't understand what is the new realize shape capability???

Thanks slater. I'm not sure if you've heard about it or not, but Realize Shape(also called subdivision modeling) is a relatively new methodology for concept freeform modeling in NX. Have a look at this video to get an impression of it's usage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suwGy-An85o

Quote from: PhilippeV8 on May 03, 2015, 09:18:28 PM
Wow !  I picked that model for the speed contest.  I had no idea it was still being worked on.  And it is great to see that it did get someone inspired afterall  ;) ;D

That being said .. I understand the pointers Esben makes, however .. personaly, I still like the first shot better.  Somehow I kinda like the effect of knowing "where the light comes from".  And I don't know why, but even tho it hasn't changed, the contrast of the lighting hitting the robot itself seems a lot harsher in the smoke-shots.  Weird cuz if you look in detail, it's exactly the same.  It's just the feeling I get when lookin.

In the end I think the smoke can work, but perhaps the lighting should/can be changed ?

Just proves that there is a lot of personal preferences involved. Maybe it could work if the light was a bit toned down. Personally, I like the smoke better than the light, but I see your point with the light source.  Either way, in both cases, I think maybe the smoke/light effect should be toned down. Typically freshman in photoshop not to realize the "less is more"-concept I guess ;)

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: PhilippeV8 on May 03, 2015, 09:18:28 PM

Speaking of inspiration. I was very inspired by your submarine shot in a separate speed render contest. (https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9506.0;attach=24588;image)

Can't decide which of the two I like the most though.

(Model courtesy of Skipsteknisk.)

richardfunnell

Well done Magnus, that looks great  :)

Magnus Skogsfjord

Magnus Skogsfjord

Playing around with a skull model I found on GrabCAD. (https://grabcad.com/library/skull-1)

TpwUK

UV mapping or KS procedurals ?

Martin

Magnus Skogsfjord

It's a translucent material with curvature color map and a cracked-looking spec/bump box map.

TpwUK

Procedurals then - looking good, The teeth need a little more translucency to them so the tips become more milky.

Martin

edwardo

Looks great, especially as it is just procedural materials. I think Martin is right, but also think the skull itself could do with some translucency.

Magnus Skogsfjord

Thank you Edwardo and Martin! I'll give it another effort with your suggestions.

E.Sirbu

Really nice the ship renders! 

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: E.Sirbu on May 05, 2015, 07:06:16 AM
Really nice the ship renders!
Thank you! :)

Alright, I tried to give the teeth and skull a more translucent look regarding the improvement suggestions. Haven't been able to separate the geometry, so I work with different passes. Breakdown is attached if anyone is interested.

edwardo

Yes, that's the one I recon! Disappointingly, this fella has better teeth than me! Could you 'yellow' up his teeth a little to make me feel better?