Multiple materials on the same object

Started by Re-Sol, August 06, 2014, 04:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Sol

Our company recently purchased a full version license of Keyshot 5 for Geomagic. I am learning both programs at the same time, and I am new to CAD. I am used to 3D Studio Max where objects are unwrapped and textured. It's very possible I'm missing something simple.

I'm trying to apply multiple materials on the Geomagic tutorial part. I poked around the web and found a video showing in Pro/E that changing the colors of the faces would allow for separate materials in Keyshot. Figuring this would be the same for all CAD programs I changed the colors of several areas on my Geomagic model. I exported it to .bip (the only file our Keyshot will open) and when opened in Keyshot the part is a single material.

Can anyone give me some advice?

In Geomagic:

Imported to Keyshot:

jhiker

I'm afraid it doesn't work that way in Geomagic. If it's a single part it will always be the same single colour in Keyshot.
There is a workaround though.....
You need to create a new part in GM and make an assembly of the two (or more) parts - the base part and the new part, then export the assembly to Keyshot.

Let's say we're talking about the large inset face on your model. The new part will be a 'skin', only 0.05mm thick or whatever, created on a plane (which may, in fact, be the inset face) using 'project to sketch' to generate the 2D sketch for the extrusion operation.
Actually 'project to sketch' is really useful - you should explore it.

If I can help further let me know - I use Keyshot and Alibre/Geomagic too.
They work very well together, I find.

I take it you are aware of the Alibre/GM user forum here...
http://forum.alibre.com/index.php?sid=ceba1249b86f65c0e95cc976ed4b5f8a
You'll get lots of help should you need it.

Edit: Read this...
http://forum.alibre.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=15849&p=97207&hilit=faces+keyshot#p97207

Re-Sol

That is what I was afraid of.

I used the "project to sketch" tool in the tutorial to make the inset face. The tutorial didn't go into great detail with it but it seems to be a useful tool. I ended up making the part into an assembly by duplicating and extruding the faces to .05". I'm not sure this is the most efficient way. Do you think you could explain a little more how to use the "project to sketch" how you described? I would appreciate it.

Here is a render of how it looked after I did my extrusions. I made the lower bearing into a separate part as well. I'm mostly just getting used to both new programs so there are errors to be found.

jhiker

There may be better ways but it's the way I know how...

Model your basic block/housing and save it.
Start a new assembly and insert the basic block.
On the ribbon, click on 'New Part' and you'll get the 'Modelling Features' toolbar and a 'New Part' will be listed in the Design Explorer tree.
Click on an inset surface and 'Activate 2D Sketch'
Use the 'Project to Sketch' tool and project any surface or edges that you want to create the skin shape.
Use the 'Extrude' tool to create a very thin skin.
Repeat as necessary.
Right-click on the root assembly at the top of the Design Explorer and click 'Edit Part'
When you come to save the assembly you'll get a chance to rename the new parts.

It seems a bit long-winded but it's fairly quick, really - as I said, there are probably other ways to do it.....

Re-Sol

I used roughly the same technique, but I didn't think to connect the sides as well. I will be sure to utilize that. Thanks for sharing.

I have learned a lot of tricks in Keyshot and I have to say I'm really impressed with it. I'm still learning Geomagic and it seems pretty powerful, but it seems very clunky. I keep having problems when I "project to sketch" and nothing happens. I close and re open the file and it works fine. It also feels like the Geomagic to Keyshot process was an afterthought as extruding the faces of models we already have is a bit frustrating.

I suppose in the end I'm just happy it all works and that we can get production quality work so quickly.