issue - move pivot doesn't match pivot

Started by andy.engelkemier, August 12, 2014, 04:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

Instead of importing the same part in a bunch of different positions, I thought I'd position it in keyshot. The problem is, I need to rotate it based on it's rotation pivot off to one side instead of centered. I don't see Any tool in keyshot to do that, so I improvise. I create a cube and move it to the point I want to rotate around. Then I take my group of objects and drag it inside the cube model. Then just hide the actual pCube part. The model keeps the rotation parented to the correct location.
BUT....if you right click on that object and select Move to bring up the gizmo/widget/gumball, it's centered to everything within the "Cube" model group.

First, it seems like one of these things is wrong.  If it always centers then I could just make my cube giant, so that it's center is always the group's center. That's how people deal with that terrible decision with powerpoint. But it would be much better if the pivot was always respected. I mean, it would be Really nice if there was a way to just move the pivot. I'm hoping I'm just missing that? Or perhaps that's luxion's way of trying to get you to buy the animation part of the software even if you have no intention of animating anything?

This isn't a Huge deal, but it's a bit frustrating that I can't use the gizmo unless the part rotates on center, which is surprisingly rare.

So unless someone chimes in, the current solution is to just scale your pCube, the one Inside your model set, to be larger than everything else. Unfortunately, if you are trying to set up some sort of parented chain, this becomes more and more difficult to accomplish. And I would recommend using sphere's in that case, so your objects don't become larger as one part is rotated. But I'm hoping someone chimes in and tells me that I'm missing the actual method for moving pivot points. But from what I can tell from the manual, you can't set that unless you have the animation package.

andy.engelkemier

Here's another related problem, which is Worse.

Rotating an object with the rotation tool snaps only to 15 degrees. I created my object in a way that causes the pivot point to actually be in the correct location inside keyshot. Amazing right? It shouldn't be that difficult, but I figured out a workaround that seems ok.
BUT, I want it to be rotated 10 degrees. I eyeball it. Shoot. That's 8.8 degrees. It shows me that it's 8.8 degrees in the rotation, but not until after you finish with the tool, which then deselects your part for whatever reason (not a great workflow). So now you'd think that you could just change the number to 10. You'd be wrong.

If you rotate with the move tool, it rotates on center. If you rotate with numbers it rotates on scene zero. Are you Kidding me!?!!
Is that a bug? Should this be logged in the bug section? If that's not a bug then I would love to hear the reason that was chosen.

And for KS6, can we add real-time feedback on how much you're rotating/moving with the move tool? That should be 2 numbers. Added rotation, and total rotation. Also let me change the snap values. I'd Much rather snap to the nearest 5. Perhaps holding down a second modifier key would allow you to snap to a second increment, like every 1. I assume in that version I'll also not be required to do crazy workarounds to pick a pivot point? Right now I'm making a giant cylinder around my object that's basically the thickness of a spider web. Unless you're doing 40K renders, it won't show up, but it technically makes your object center exactly where you want it.