Opacity and Emissive Materials

Started by Deadlift315, August 25, 2014, 12:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadlift315

Hi Everyone,

I am a seasoned 3D artist, but just started using Keyshot. This is such an awesome tool!

I often do renderings of glass products, some of them being candles. In the past I have always used v-ray for this kind of thing but wanted to give it a go in keyshot.

Everything looks great with the exception of one small issue. Hopefully this is a simple setting I am missing somewhere in keyshot.

For the flame of the candle I am using a simple emissive material with an opacity map. However if you look closely you can see a very faint outline of the plane geometry that the flame material is applied to in the reflections and refractions.
If you look at the attached renderings (white candle is keyshot red candle is vray) you can see that with the identical maps in vray this is not an issue. There is a setting  for vray light materials (closest material to the key shot emissive material) called "multiply color by opacity" that solves this problem.

Is there an equivalent setting or work around in keyshot?

Thank you for the help!

Deadlift315

Just figured this out!

Very simple solution. go to the settings tab and increase the number of ray bounces. the default of 6 just in not enough to cleanly render the opacity through a refractive surface. in my case 9 was sufficient to get rid of the plane outline issue. don't go too crazy with it or your render times will become very slow.