Why can't I import This Smaller BIP file into The Larger One?

Started by SteveRocks, September 23, 2014, 06:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveRocks

From Inventor 2015 files saved as step files, brought into KS5 with 5.0.99 Update...Each individual BIP opens in KS, but KS just dies when I try to import small file into large one.
WHY ????

I will attach BIP files to a moderator/KS employee....need an answer / workaround very fast - as have to get job done !
Watched it working with Windows Resource Monitor...CPU Tab, CPU column goes to zero....Is my machine too slow/not enough RAM?

Thanks for your help in advance - but desperate now. :-[

Win7 Pro 64 Bit
Dell Precision T1650
i5 CPU @ 3.3GHz
32 GB RAM
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate

Chad Holton

I would think 32 GIG would be enough.. but it's hard to say for sure. Try saving the smaller one as a BIP first and then import the BIP (instead of STEP). Should work better. Let me know if this helps or not.

SteveRocks

Hi Chad,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have saved both files as BIP files. I want to include in the larger BIP, the smaller one...program just stops.

I forgot to mention graphics card is Nvidia Quadro 600.

I will attach files in question tomorrow - when I get into work...it's 9.35pm here in the UK.

Have you any more suggestions I could try?

Thanks.

Chad Holton

Thanks for trying, Steve. How about bringing them both together in Inventor first, then exporting as one STEP? Being a STEP, the file structure should stay in place. Keep an eye on the RAM usage in the task manager, I can't imagine you would be using it all but it won't hurt. If it seems to be sucking it dry, try using less tessellation when importing.

SteveRocks

Hi Chad,

Yes, I tried that method first.
I Left the generated STEP file from Inventor, as it was importing it into Keyshot, working last Friday afternoon...left the pc on over the week-end...came into work on Monday morning, Keyshot only had 3 bars shown on the setup message box... PC was doing nothing, windows task manager>performance>resource monitor>cpu...under processes - cpu showed zero activity.

So after my Boss went mad, I decided to break the assembly it down into smaller chunks in Inventor. Save each bit as a step, parasolid, sat, in fact every file type Keyshot could open.
Then import into KS, and see what happened.

I managed to end up with a large STEP file, with just one bit of my scene missing. I was confident I could finish the job, as this last part was in it's own step file (this I had opened in Keyshot - saved the scene as a BIP file). So I just need to bring a smaller BIP file into the final larger scene BIP file.

If I attach them, can you try to figure out why it grinds KS to a halt?

We have tried to import the small bip into the larger one on another machine in the company - same thing happens, pc goes down to zero, and KS fails.

WHY ???

Chad Holton

Hi Steve,

Very strange... I'm out of ideas.  :-\

Please send the file(s) to: support@luxion.com

You can use this upload link, if you want: https://keyshot.wetransfer.com/

Thanks,
Chad

SteveRocks

Hi Chad,

What is your email address?
WeTransfer is asking me for it?

SteveRocks

Cheers Chad - uploading now...

See if you can find the problem.... ;)

Chad Holton

Thanks for sending, Steve. Downloading now (may take a bit with my measly connection speed). I'll let you know what I find out.

SteveRocks

Hi Chad,

Would it be possible to try KeyShot 5.1 BETA Pro, or will that be a way off before we can all access it???