Material tests and other experiments...

Started by Despot, September 24, 2014, 08:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Despot

Hey All

Been a while since I posted something.

The Tank and Foo Dog are textured completely with labels only, no map slots were used at all... was wanting to get a thoroughly worn, used and battle damaged look

The subtle and 'deep' damage you see in image 1 and 3 is all as achieved via labels, so essentially it's an optical illusion.

The top-down car shot was a departure from my comfort zone and was made to accompany a tutorial I am working on for somebody. Its probably the 'cleanest' image I've ever done, this was lit using a custom HDR, no labels used on this one.

Thanks for taking a gander, and comments are more than welcome

J

TpwUK

Nice work again J, love the tank, amazing what you have achieved with labels only

Martin

Esben Oxholm

Wow, amazing work... again :)

Could you somehow show your process with the labeling? Looks pretty cool!

bronson

Wow!! Really love the worn-effect using labels only.
Could you pls share the label by KS Cloud?

Bronson

edwardo

Wow, amazing stuff Jon. I really need to push what I can do with labels, and maybe get some advise off you someday about how to go about making effective labels (i'm guessing its all down to good PS brushes and techniques). So are you telling me that the big 'f*** off chunk' thats missing from the lions head was achieved with a label???

Great work
Ed

Chad Holton

Despot

Thanks for the kind comments everybody...

QuoteCould you somehow show your process with the labeling? Looks pretty cool!

Yes Esben I will do that

QuoteCould you pls share the label by KS Cloud?

I'm sorry, I cannot share these specific labels, but I am in the process of uploading lots of assets (HDR's/materials) to the online library and some of those materials have a label element to them

QuoteSo are you telling me that the big 'f*** off chunk' thats missing from the lions head was achieved with a label???

That made me laugh out loud for quite a while Ed, what a wordsmith you are... :)

Here's a video of the Foo Dog in KeyShot with the labels being deactivated one by one... the end result is a neutral Axalta paint material - I cannot attach a video in this thread, so I've uploaded to Mediafire :

https://www.mediafire.com/?shd83y6risncn3c

J

Josh3D

The label work on the lion is seven levels of cool.

Put it on Youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtj_Cq12g08

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: josh3d on September 25, 2014, 05:26:46 AM

That is awesome. Very creative use of the function. I need to extend my library with some dirty labels.

Ed

Excellent, especially the missing chunk.   Love to see a tutorial on dirty labels.

Ed Ferguson

SteveTalkowski

Hey John,

Great effect here!  Couple of questions:

1. Did you already paint these layers separately in Photoshop?
2. If so, what are you gaining by recreating this inside Keyshot?
3. This is specific just to the one angle, correct?

I'm interested in being able to do actual layered textures at some point inside Keyshot.

Thanks!

-Steve

Arn

Quote from: josh3d on September 25, 2014, 05:26:46 AM

This is going to sound like a silly question, but how come your Keyshot interface is so dark?

Despot

Thanks for the positive comments guys... and thanks to Josh for the Facebook exposure and the YouTube upload...

QuoteLove to see a tutorial on dirty labels.

I will sort something out Ed...

Quote1. Did you already paint these layers separately in Photoshop?
2. If so, what are you gaining by recreating this inside Keyshot?
3. This is specific just to the one angle, correct?

Hey Steve, the labels were worked up in Photoshop, the benefits of adding the labels in KS as opposed to Photoshop is you get the correct perspective distortion using Normal Projection mode, also, the labels are affected by scene lighting which obviously integrates them with the underlying textures (if any exist) better.

No, it's not specific to just one angle, although applying that same label to different parts of the geometry will give a slightly different look admittedly

Can I send you a Private Message ?

QuoteThis is going to sound like a silly question, but how come your Keyshot interface is so dark?

This can be altered in Preferences >> Interface >> theme, choose from 'light' or 'dark' - I think I also have 'background brightness' set to 'darkest'

J

Despot

Thanks...

Here's another test, showing a range of damage on the same model - again just using labels for texturing

Click on the single image for a hi-res version

J

richardfunnell

Wow John, those are *beautiful* images, top notch work!!!