MartinP
1 (5.3%)
willgibbonsdesign
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: October 27, 2014, 09:11:25 AM

Esben Oxholm

Let's try this!

The model for this weeks speed rendering contest (and the very first) is a bench grinder found on GrabCad: https://grabcad.com/library/grinding-machine--4
Download the model from the above link or use this .bip-file where I have grouped some of the parts already, making it quicker for all of us to get to the fun part :)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2388699/BenchGrinder.bip (right click -> save link as)

The rules are:
1. Download the applied CAD-model, import it to KeyShot and show of your best skills.

2. You have 2 hours to complete the render, including final render time and post processing.

3. Play fair. We trust that you don't use more than 2 hours total.

5. You can make as many renderings as you like, as long as you're selective an show the absolute best you can do.

6. The picture has to be uploaded to the thread before the end of the deadline. (Typically a week.)

7. Together with your render you should state:
          a) Time used.
          b) The software that you've used besides KeyShot (eg. Photoshop).

8. The purpose of theese speed rendering contest is to push your own limits and learn from others. If you like, it's much appreciated if you upload a packedge file of your scene. In that way, others can learn from your techniques.

9. Maximum resolution: 1280x1024 horizontally or vertically. Using less or another format is no problem.

10. When time is up, a poll is created and it's possible for all members of the forum to vote on their favorite. The poll is open for a week.

11. The winner has to pick the CAD-model for next speed rendering contest. Find one that is free of charge on websites like GrabCad.com. You can use a model of your own a well.

12. Happy rendering! :)

Deadline is next Sunday.
If there are any questions or problems, let's take the discussion in this thread. I look forward to see your results.

Best regards,

prodzign

Well, here is an attempt. My computer is not NEARLY as fast as others who post on here, so I knew I would have to leave quite a bit to rendering.
Not entirely thrilled about my grinding stone bump textures... but again, time was of the essence.

No post.
Used PS for a label only. Background is my very own workbench.

Total time: 78 minutes

Dan

bronson

- Done in 1:40...
- Using KS5.
- Post-process in Photoshop CS5 just to blur the background

Thx
Bronson  ;)

Despot

Here's my effort...

Time breakdown :

10 minutes for main label creation in Illustrator and Photoshop
50 minutes working with materials, textures, labels and lighting
30 minutes to render
5 minutes post in Photoshop for addition of text

1 hour 35 minutes

Enjoyed doing this immensely

Cheers

J

edwardo

HA, LOVE IT!

Reminds me of those nasty 'Hostel' movies

Zen

Used downloaded table and axe model I made, but other than that nothing else.  the wall and trim are just primitives created inside keyshot, everything was also positioned in keyshot.  The materials are quite good though, with the grind block and base being custom, little hard to tell how good it is in this lighting and distance. Will need to do a different light setup to really show it off.  Didn't do much outside of keyshot other than 3 seconds in photoshop.  All together, probably took most of the time in planning, the render itself is a minute or two worth, just screenshot from keyshot window.  Probably an hour and a half in total for everything.  Not really any special techniques going on here, will think about some that might make it pop.  All I have right now are third party studio HDRI's. 

bronson

2nd render.
Using half-toon effect.

- KS5 = 20 minutes (toon material is so easy & fast to render). Save a lot of time by using my first render (Is it considered cheating?  :-X)
- Photoshop CS5 = 15 minutes (just for combining the realistic render & toon render by deleting half portion of the realistic render)

Thx
Bronson

edwardo

nice! not seen much 'toon' action for a while.

Esben Oxholm

Nice to see this amount of entries already!

Here is my take:

Texture, light, backplate and camera setup: 1 hour 20 minutes
Render: 20 minutes
Photoshop: 15 minutes

Keep'em coming :)

Josh3D

Great idea Esben! May have to create a whole new board for these  ;)

bronson

As I expected, I have learned couple of new things from this contest:
- Scratches on metal & blood-stained effect from Metal Master
- ON/OFF Switch with emissive light from Esben Oxholm

Bronson

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: josh3d on October 14, 2014, 11:25:57 AM
Great idea Esben! May have to create a whole new board for these  ;)

That would be really nice, Josh. I will not hold you back :)

@Bronson:
I'm happy that you've already learned something new. That's the whole point of these contests. Great!

@All:
Two days left to deadline. If you have a few hours to spare, why not show off your skills with an entry for this speed rendering contest. That would be awesome :)

Best regards,

MartinP

So first of all, I got not much experience with KS yet and my cpu is not the fastest.

KS: 1:50h
Photoshop: 10 minutes for textures
Total: about 2 hours

The button is not how I imagined but well... too little time ::)
Hope you still like it

Will Gibbons

Hi all! Been using KS for about a year now. Not super active in the community, but I'd like to be more. I'm sure I'll learn faster this way. : )

Keyshot Setup Time: 1:05 hour
Keyshot Render Time: 22:55 min
Photoshop Post: 15 min
Total: 1 hour 42 min 55 sec

Esben Oxholm