Mapping tool not active

Started by Clausj, October 30, 2014, 07:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clausj

To me the (texture) mapping tool is a riddle. The button is mostly inactive and I have yet to figure out when it works and when it don't. I had had hoped it to be fixed in the 5.1 beta but it's the same as before. Maybe I don't get how it's supposed to work?

Claus

ddolezal

Same here - created a Material "Advanced", added a Color Texture map and type Box - but the mapping tool stays greyed out......

guest84672

It is not available when you try to edit a material from within the in-project library. You will need to edit the material by double clicking on it on the part, or right clicking on the part in the scene tree and selecting "edit material".

Joske@WEMO

Hi Guys,

I am working with version 4.3.18 an i have the same problem.
I have a simple block with a texture Untitled-1k.jpg an a bumpmap Milled-bump.jpg.
My goal is to make the sides of the block appear as a stack of metal sheets.
So i use the cylindrical type but i can not select the mapping tool to position it right.

Can someone tell me what i am doing wrong?

Chad Holton

Hello,

I messed with your file for a moment and attached what I ended up with. I used a stock horizontal line bump map to replicate the stack of metal sheets.

The mapping tool is showing for me - you may want to update your video drivers if you aren't able to see it.

Chad

Hellborn

I had similar problem once. Dont remeber exctly what I did but as far as I can remember I applied some other material to it and suddenly it worked again.

Joske@WEMO

Hello Chad,

Almost what i had in mind, only i used the cylindical mapping instead the box mapping to get en even top of the stack.
Also updated the video card driver (Nvidia Quatro 4000)
No effect. Still no active mapping tool.
Any more suggestions?

Quote from: Chad Holton on February 13, 2015, 03:45:05 AM
Hello,

I messed with your file for a moment and attached what I ended up with. I used a stock horizontal line bump map to replicate the stack of metal sheets.

The mapping tool is showing for me - you may want to update your video drivers if you aren't able to see it.

Chad

Chad Holton

Hm.. not sure. This version has been out for a bit - are you just now noticing the issue or has this been a problem for a while now?

Clausj

This problem has been around since at least v5. My workaround is to drag-apply another textured material to the object, go to the texture pane of the material and click the mapping tool, dismiss the mapping tool in the scene window and then undo until my original material is back on the object. Now I can use the mapping tool on my original material.

It is my feeling that the inactive mapping tool is a problem with every new material I create.

Claus

Joske@WEMO

I did notice it a while back but because the normal stuff that i render is that big these things are not important and noticable in the picture.
I make renders of complete machines of 20-30 meter long with 3 meter width and height. Now i need some close-ups for a new folder we are making.
I will try the solution of Clausj. Maybe this works for me too.

I still hope that Luxion can fix this, because it's a real bug in the program.

I will be back.