KS 5 always "freezes" my mac in Realtime-mode

Started by ddolezal, November 12, 2014, 02:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddolezal

Hello,

I am having issues which were unknown in KS4 when working in KS5:
In Realtime mode, KS5 always "freezes" my Mac completely - I cannot interact with the Model, I cannot pause the realtime renderer because a few seconds after loading or manipulating my objects I get the spinning beachball.

I already turned down the time the realtime renderer "runtime"  to 30 seconds so that I can get my work done at all - but it is still frustrating:
Load model - wait for 30 seconds (beachball) - change perspective - wait for 30 seconds (beachball)- change Environment - wait for 30 seconds (beachball) ........

I do know that in RENDER mode I can reduce the number of cores used - but as far as I know I cannot do this for realtime mode, can I?

My machine:

iMac 27" Ci7 3.5 GHz (iMac 14.2)
24 GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
Fusion Drive
GeForce GTX 780M 4GB Vram
OSX 10.9.5

Keyshot version is 5.1.57

Does anybody have any ideas what is wrong with my setup?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help,

best regards,

Dieter

TpwUK

Hi Dieter ... You asked,

QuoteI do know that in RENDER mode I can reduce the number of cores used - but as far as I know I cannot do this for realtime mode, can I?

Yes you can, the number of cores being used is in the top left corner, use the drop down and set the amount you want to use.

QuoteDoes anybody have any ideas what is wrong with my setup?

Not sure with this one, you are using mavericks which introduced native support for Nvidia cards, there are true drivers from Nvidia if you have not already tried them ... http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/334.01.03f01/WebDriver-334.01.03f01.pkg.

Your system is also Yosemite ready, so you can always upgrade the OS too to see if that helps.

Martin

thomasteger

It may be tied to the selection outline of the model. Try using "Use CPU for selection outline" in the Preferences.

ddolezal

Quote from: TpwUK on November 12, 2014, 04:21:06 AM
Hi Dieter ... You asked,

Yes you can, the number of cores being used is in the top left corner, use the drop down and set the amount you want to use.

Thanks for showing me the errors of my ways.....
Found it. I will give it a try.

Quote from: TpwUK on November 12, 2014, 04:21:06 AM

Not sure with this one, you are using mavericks which introduced native support for Nvidia cards, there are true drivers from Nvidia if you have not already tried them ... http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/334.01.03f01/WebDriver-334.01.03f01.pkg.

Thanks for the link - unfortunately, the installer says that my mac is not compatible with this driver.
:(

TpwUK

Hi Dieter, if Thomas's advice does not help here is another that is definitely Mavericks enabled, how ever there are restrictions applied to the install being Mac Pro's only. Read the information and make sure it's compatible with your Mac :)

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/76505/en-us

Martin

ddolezal

Quote from: TpwUK on November 12, 2014, 07:00:28 AM
Hi Dieter, if Thomas's advice does not help here is another that is definitely Mavericks enabled, how ever there are restrictions applied to the install being Mac Pro's only. Read the information and make sure it's compatible with your Mac :)

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/76505/en-us

Martin

Hello Martin,

the driver is not for the 780 M I use - unfortunately, it also does not install.
Just a question - how do you locate the Mac-Drivers in the GeForce driver area?
Regardless of the settings I use for Card type in the upper dropdown menus - I never can select OSX in the Operating System menu, because it is simply not available.

Quote from: Thomas Teger on November 12, 2014, 05:53:22 AM
It may be tied to the selection outline of the model. Try using "Use CPU for selection outline" in the Preferences.

Hello Thomas,

thanks for the input. Your suggestion and reducing the number of cores to 7 does make things better - but does not solve the issue completely.
I still have the spinning beachball, albeit less frequently.
I also tried shutting down all other applications except Mail, Chrome and Safary, which did not make things better either.

Is there any other thing to try or is there any possibility to look what happens on the machine (I already tried Activity Monitor and top - but when the spinning beachball appears, these applications do not generate any output - which is to be expected).

The only thing that came to my attention is that before and after the beachball appears, the number (or amount) of systemcalls increases from about 3% to 20%.....

Best regards and thanks for your help!

Dieter

TpwUK

Hi Dieter, NVidia's main drivers page has a section under the selection where you can click on beta and old drivers. I have checked the area for 750M drivers and there are none for MacOSX so you are sadly dependant purely on Apple provided drivers.

My sincere apologies for misleading you - usually Geforce drivers cover cards from 500-900 series cards :(

Martin

KeyShot

You can also turn off selection outline in the menu.