Newbie question: can I have different materials within a same part?

Started by tfboy, November 13, 2014, 05:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tfboy

Trialling KS5 right now and I have to say it looks very nice :)

One question though, I'm using Creo (v2) for my models and assemblies which import fine into KS5.
However, some parts are comprised of different pieces. For example, I have an IEC mains socket that is a single part, not an assembly.
If I assign a material to it, of course, everything (plastic housing and metal contacts) is of that material.
Is it possible to select sub elements like surfaces within a part to selectively choose which material they should be?
I can do this in Creo, but think all is lost when I then apply a material to the part in KS5 (need to play around a bit more).

The alternative is to have the IEC socket as an assembly of two parts; plastic housing and metal contacts, but I'd then have to design that when I'm currently using the part supplied by the IEC socket manufacturer.

Thanks for any suggestions.

thomasteger

Simply apply a different color to the individual surfaces in a part that you want to have broken out.

tfboy

Hi Thomas,
Thanks for replying.
Different colour in Creo or KS? I can't figure out how to select surfaces or apply a colour to just a surface of a part in KS

edit: Got it, changed in Creo and now each surface that has a different colour is listed seperately in KS so I can apply different materials to it. Thanks :)

hillyhills

Hi!

facing the same dilemma with KS5, have a single part file but wanna allocate different colors on different surfaces so  i rendered my surfaces in different color in Creo parametric but it doesn't separate as different layers in KS5 for me...whats going on.. did i miss out something?

Chad Holton

Hello hillyhills,

I have a few questions:

What KS5 version are you using exactly (e.g. 5.1.234)?
What Creo version?
Are you importing or using the plugin?

Chad