When performance mode is not enough!

Started by rfollett, November 14, 2014, 01:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfollett

So I  have a very large scene and my graphics card is struggling and I wanted to know if there was another realtime mode so I can move my scene around to get correct shot and then render.

Performance mode is better but it is still very slow when moving around scene... Could I apply a default material to everything , I guess this is material sets??

Robb63

have you tried hit the "S" key on your keyboard to turn off self shadows? I find that pretty helpful too

thomasteger

Performance mode is more than turning off self shadow.

I am not sure I understand your question, rfollett. You can always apply a material at the the top level of the model in the scene tree by dragging and dropping a material from the library onto the top node.

rfollett

I understand I can apply a diffuse material to all objects and then my scene is easy to rotate and setup my camera shots.. I wasn't sure if there was a switch to flick between all the materials I have applied and diffuse materials .. Much like performance mode but better for speed.

thomasteger

You can do that and switch all materials to diffuse by right clicking on the top node and selecting a material type. It is not quite the same though.

Anthonyy

Try keeping it in "Quality mode" and turning off all the options and setting the Ray bounces to 0.
This probably achieves something similar to setting all the materials to diffuse.
Although a temporary override would be far better.

Robb63

If you are on KS Pro, you could set up a scene with all flat materials and save this in scene sets, then have a material template with all correct materials. Once you have your cameras and lights setup in the flat scene you could apply the template to populate everything with the correct materials?