Where're gone textures coordinates ?

Started by guest2984, October 05, 2010, 12:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest2984

Hi.
I usually work on 3dsmax for modeling and keyshot for renderings.
I export 3dsmax models to keyshot using Wavefront .OBJ files: with unchecked Poser like feature and all the rest by default.
Recently i had to produce models with decals applied. So i exported them to .obj including texture coordinates.
Once imported into keyshot all texture coordinates defined in max were gone!!!

Am i wrong or simply it's a normal behavior?

BR
Raf

guest84672

All texture coordinates will be maintained when exporting an Obj file. Make sure to check "uv" under projection to maintain the uv mapping. The projection type for labels defaults to Normal.

guest2984

Do you mean the checkbox displayed right before merging the model into the scene?
I'll check and let you know.

Thank you Thomas.

guest84672

No the projection type in the texture and label dialog.

guest2984

No way.
Material was already set to UV coordinates but map must be adjusted several times to have the one displayed in 3dsmax before exporting.
I try to explain you what i did in max.
I have a cube. Each face is composed by 9 polys. One face is mapped with a bump map and a decal.
So i applied to that face two materials IDs, each assigned to 6 polys and 3 polys. Then i selected two UVW map modifiers, with Z-planar mapping, each assigned to those poly groups with different map channel.

When i render in max, every map appear to be applied correctly.
When exporting to obj and importing into keyshot, maps appear to be applied to the entire object even if i can see the polys group as different materials. In other words map appeers to be bigger than the space (6 ore 3 polys) that it should occupy.

At first time i thought it was due to smooth modifier applied on top but if so, maps will be distorted but not oversized.

guest84672

Can you post the obj and mtl file so we can take a look? Or e-mail to support@luxion.com.

guest2984

In this image you can see what i have in max and what in keyshot after applying texture

guest2984

Stop!
I found what was wrong and it was in max.
The material used in 3dsmax was a Multi/Sub material, containing 3 mats. A base material with no textures and 2 others with textures applied.
Browsing the web in other forums i found people having problems with multi/sub material when exporting into other softwares such as ZBrush, so i thought it was probably a symilar case....and it was true.
Applying to the object single-slot materials, now i can see the imported file with the right textures in the right position.
I'm usually using the multi/sub-obj material and i never had problem with it when exporting to other tools.
Can't be that Keyshot doesn't recognize textures coords properly using multi/sub-obj mat in 3dsmax?

Thank you for you help.
Raf

guest84672

Maybe obj files don't support this. Glad you figured it out.

guest2984

Not sure it's due to obj....

Probably it has been misunderstood that the multi/sub-obj material was applied to the same object, where each material ID was assigned to bunch of polys.
Probably keyshot can't properly recognize textures coordinates in this case.
Otherwise there're no other reasons.

BR
Raf