Main Menu

Snap object to object

Started by Winch Doctor, January 15, 2015, 08:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winch Doctor

When I import, the object appears somewhere on screen, and I go through the task of moving it to where I want. It would be great if there was a "snap to object" that I could select when in move mode. This feature, when active, would snap the center of your object (or current selection) to the center of the next object you click on. This would quickly put it in the general vicinity of where I'd like it, and I can move it from there.

Even more versatile would be if I could snap it onto the same axis as another object. For example, lining the center of one object up with only the Y axis of another.

Rex

Hey Winch Doctor,

Perhaps you can use the position tab to help you with this?

1. Select your model in the scene tree
2. Navigate to the position tab.
3. Select "Center" to move the model to the center of your environment
4. Or use the Translation input fields to specify relative position

Rex

KeyShot

I do think this is a good idea and something we have on our todo list.

Winch Doctor

Hi Rex,

I appreciate the suggestion! A problem arises in how large of a scene I'm working in, and how small my pieces get. Snap to axis or center would also be great for eliminating guesswork when trying to align, say, an endcap of some sort with its corresponding tube.
But Keyshot, glad to hear it's being considered ^^!

jeffw

Another thing I would like to see which is somewhat related is to have arrow key control over the move tool for xyz and for rotation. Click on the move tool direction and then arrow key through the increments. Setting your own increments would be nice too.

Winch Doctor

I definitely agree with setting one's own increments. I import planes and then resize them to represent plastic strapping on product, but this resizing often makes the move tool go berserk. I'll try to position it with the move tool, and the smallest mouse movement will cause my object to jump across the screen.