Two Slave Core levels - one for logged in and one for not logged in

Started by elarson, January 16, 2015, 09:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elarson

Simple request. 

We use student computing site machines as the Slave Rendering Farm - easy to get to 256 if all machines are set to donate all 8 cores to the collective.

It would be nice to have two settings for the number of cores allocated to the Slave - one for logged in users and one when users are not logged in.

This would allow for students to gain access to all 8 cores of otherwise unused (not logged into) machines, but then gracefully drop back to 2 or 0 when they are using it.

Rex

Thank you for the suggestion. I have filed it with development.

Rex

elarson

The one refinement that hit me as I thought about this driving home (as a Network Admin) is the list of cores that can be brought up with the sprocket tool - the list now has 0 to All with everything in between.

To keep the logon interface somewhat responsive an "All - 1" core, might be nice as it would ensure at least 1 core is free (for logon or maintenance) and free us from having to know if the machine had 2 or 4 or 8 or 12 or 16 or 20 cores.

elarson

Thank you for implementing this feature - it is working well.

I now see 150 cores available for rendering that dips as students login and use the machine, but given 24/7 labs, much of the time, all of the quiescent machines are "standing ready to help in rendering.

Thanks again. :)