export for other 3D software

Started by andy.engelkemier, January 30, 2015, 08:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

Keyshot is great. But like any other software, there are always cases when the software you have the data in right Now isn't the one that's right for the next animation. Maybe the client is demanding a fully rendered out interior scene with accurate sub surface scattering material in a room full of a fine mist. Obviously keyshot isn't the tool for that. Or perhaps you have an animation set up in 3dsMax, but your coworker has been rendering their design in Keyshot throughout design iterations, and now you need that file in 3dsMax.
I think we both know which "hypothetical" is accurate to my current situation, but thought I'd throw out something else for whoever.

Exporting right now seems to be limited to printing use. Also, in my test today OBJ absolutely exploded. Only a couple parts in the 200MB file were even recognizable.
The file had a couple hundred parts, but the obj only had one also. So not very useful for Most cases you'd want.

So there's my wish. I'd like to be able to take the best possible representation from Keyshot to something else. Ideally it'd be an obj (or fbx, whichever is easier) and also assigning any applicable attributes as matching. Color is blue? Make the material that color blue. Refraction is using a crazy cool map? Yeah, that's not supported, so just skip it. Transparent? Pretty sure that transfers. You get the idea. I just want the work that's already been done to be as utilized as possible so I can spend time on other details.