Shadow Artefact with Emmisive Material

Started by Sach, October 12, 2010, 03:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sach

Hello
I'm getting bad shading artefacts when using emmisive materials. The model is of a display unit with shelves. Behind the front edge of each shelf is a tube shape, representing a tube light with an emmisive material applied to it. The tube is long and thin, 1.6cm x around 300cm.
When rendering out, jagged shading appears on the back wall just under the shelf line - as on the attached image.
This doesn't happen when the emmisive material is off.
The scene is an interior with the ambient lighting coming through the ceiling using a standard Keyshot hdri - All White Studio.
I've tried to increase the quality settings like shadow quality and global illumination quality and the same happens.
It also happens with a plain wall without the texture map. I've also changed the materials used for the wall and shelving with no effect.
Please help!

guest84672

Have you tried the new realtime rendering mode?

Sach

guest84672

In the render dialog, you select Use Realtime Render. Then set the time under quality and let it crank. In essence this is the exact same as setting it up in realtime.

Sach

Hi
As this is an interior, the real time doesn't resolve enough to give a smooth shading. In the end my wife erased the 'spiked' shadows in Photoshop.
Any other ideas why this is happening?
Thanks

guest84672

Yes. The emissive material needs further optimization. That's why we don't advertise it yet as a light source for interior lighting. It is great for accent lighting or simulating light on an object.

We are working on it!

Thomas

Sach