Anyone using 3D Connexion SpaceMouse with Keyshot?

Started by chippwalters, February 02, 2015, 11:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chippwalters

I recently started using the 3D SpaceMouse with all my 3D programs and really like it (Lightwave, SketchUp, MoI3D) but cannot get it to work right in KeyShot. Is there anyone out there who has successfully figured out how to use it, and in particular turn off the TWIST as it continues to end up *tilting* the horizon line. If you are, can you please share your technique? Thanks!

guest84672

The mouse is moving the camera, not the model. I hope this helps.

chippwalters

Thanks Thomas. I assume the same is true for the 3 button mouse as well, only it doesn't tilt the horizon line. With the horizon line constantly tilting, it's virtually impossible to set up a shot. That's why I'm asking if anyone is actually using this with KeyShot-- perhaps there's something I'm missing???

guest84672

chippwalters

It would be best if it just stayed at "0" just like when you use a mouse. Thanks for asking!  :)

chippwalters

By mouse, I mean in KeyShot when a user moves the camera using a regular mouse, it doesn't change the twist settings. It would be great if there was an option for the Connexion device to do the same-- that way you can always keep a 'vertical up' in the scene. If you don't, the Connexion device goes all over, as it's constantly changing the twist settings, and I find it's impossible to get a 'vertical UP' (on a Mac with latest Yosemite).

Rex

I have filed a development request for KeyShot 6 to add a 3Dconnexion preferences setting for "Disable camera twist"

Do you have "restrict to dominant axis" enabled in preferences>interface>3dconnextion settings? If this is checked then you can avoid adjusting twist values in the meantime by avoiding "twisting" the actual 3d mouse.

chippwalters

Thanks. Yes, I have "restrict dominant axis" and it's still pretty much impossible to position the camera where you want by not 'twisting' the actual 3D mouse. I would suggest someone there purchase a device and try using it for awhile. It will help make clear how it should work.

Also, please take a look at Connexion implementations for other software packages (Google SketchUp is a good example and it's free). Many people, myself included, like this device because we can now have a single way to manipulate models in all 3D packages. And as Keyshot is not an integrated package (modeler, renderer, animator) and it's users come from various other software paradigms, it might be a good idea to consider making the mouse (or Connexion device) as configurable as possible. This way your users can enjoy using the same 3D navigation as in their favorite 3D modeler.

FWIW, Connexion has a 'Certified' flag for programs who have implemented this correctly. I see KeyShot is not 'Certified' and it might be a good idea to see if there's some low hanging fruit thing you can do to pass certification.  :D

richardfunnell

You should be able to restrict the "twist" in your 3Dconnexion driver settings. I'm familiar with the issue you're seeing, and it can be addressed by customizing your settings (not within KeyShot).

chippwalters

There is no setting for "TWIST" in the 3Dconnexion panel on the Mac.

There are settings for:
3D Mouse Right and Left
3D Mouse In and Out
3D Mouse Down and Up
3D Mouse Tilt Backward and Forward
3D Mouse Roll Left and Right
3D Mouse Spin Clockwise and Counter-clockwise

I have tried tweaking each of these independently with zero success. Which is the one you tweak to make it work correctly?

chippwalters

Here's an animated GIF showing the problem. In this case I *have locked* ROLL LEFT and ROLL RIGHT (which is probably best what TWIST somewhat accounts for) and still the TWIST setting is being changed. Notice it stays at 0 while using the SpaceMouse EVEN THOUGH IT'S NOT ZERO. This is corroborated by clicking in the inclination setting at the end and pressing the return key which effectively resets the twist to ZERO thus keeping the verticals pointing up correctly in the scene.

Note: I'm on a Mac using lastest version of Yosemite.

richardfunnell

You're right, something is overriding the "twist" setting even though it should be locked. Not sure what's going on here, but I'll follow up internally. Thanks for the detailed information.

prodzign

I am having the exact same problem with my Spacemouse. In Keyshot 4, this was not an issue.
Rotate has become roll, and roll has become rotate, with no obvious way of resetting it. And I'm experience the "twist problem"
In all other programs (Inventor, Solidworks, 3DSMAx, etc) everything is the same.
I just upgrade to Keyshot5 the other day and immediately was like
What the heck?!
I have not been able to find a solution.
While not a massive problem, it is very un-natural, and I find myself having to completely re-learn my spacemouse movements simply for Keyshot.
Fluidity between programs ands devices is essential to an effective workflow.
The Spacemouse set-up works exactly the same in my modeling programs, but for whatever reason Keyshot is backwards.

I should note that I am on a PC running windows 7 Pro, 8cores 32GB ram.
So it's not just a Mac issue.

guest84983

You "just" have to swap anything by everything. Then it works intuitively (for me at least) – I attached a screenshot of my preferences. i hope this helps.

I guess there is some resident weird nerd at 3dconnexion interfering, because the driver's default settings of my beloved space pilot are unusable with every app I use (Modo, Keyshot, Photoshop ...) – unfortunately ZBrush does not support this device at all ...