2015 ; still no save and resume rendering option ?

Started by Warsoul, February 05, 2015, 02:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warsoul

Why we can't resume an unfinished render via a save ? This is critical for an rendering software.

guest84672

Warsould, I'm not sure what you mean. Can you please explain?

Winch Doctor

If I'm following the request correctly, this would help me as well. I think he means to be able to stop and resume the render task at any time. Ex: I'd like to use all the cores on my workstation for rendering, but seeing as I'm at work and I still have to use this computer for other things, it would be great to save the progress of my animation rendering, and then pick it up later (say, when I go out to lunch).

This way I can consistently work on the same rendering but still have my computer available for other things when I'm sitting in front of it. Maybe even just a "pause render" would do nicely!

If this is any help to anyone, here's a workaround:
Premiere Pro users can import an 'Image Sequence'. So, when you stop your render to do other work, look inside the folder where you've saved your frames and take note of the last completed image.
Next in Keyshot, set the work area sliders on your timeline to exclude all of the frames you already rendered, and start rendering just your work area.
You can combine the new frames with the old frames into a single folder, and import the frames into Premiere Pro as an image sequence to get the completed animation. Keyshot should have already numbered each frame appropriately, even though the new task was rendered separately.

And yes, I know that is a hassle. I'd love to have a 'pause task' option in Keyshot.

guest84672