Different render resolutions lead to completely different look of textures

Started by ddolezal, February 11, 2015, 06:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddolezal

Hello,

I have another problem when rendering my Marmelade jars.
The client requested a higher output resolution - so I went into the render dialog and doubled the resolution.
I was stunned when my content (actually a simple image placed in a Diffuse material) looked completely different in the high resolution rendering.
So I doubled the render time - still no change.
I then tried the advanced control renderer - there the texture changes even more drammaticly (Sa 32, RayB 6, AA 1, SH 1, GI 1, PB 1, CA 1)

First image is in resolution 1920 x 1440, Render mode is max time = 5 min.
Second image is in resolution 3840 x 2880, render mode is max time = 10 min.
Third image is in resolution 1920 x 1440, render mode is advanced control (Sa 32, RayB 6, AA 1, SH 1, GI 1, PB 1, CA 1)
Fourth image is in resolution 3840 x 2880, render mode is advanced control again

Does anybody have any suggestion why the texture looks different?
Is it possible that the texture map gets scaled differently during rendering?
I am at a total loss what happens here.....

Under the following link I placed the .ksp for examination.
http://ftp.hirte.de:80/_P5BE2G5k4ERwAR

Thanks in advance for your help,

Dieter

guest84672

I'm not sure what the problem is? The resolution doesn't affect the texture.

ddolezal

Hello Thomas,

Compare the max time renderings:
When I preview them in the Finder and do a fast switch, the Textures are quite different in the renderings.
When I compare them in Photoshop by switching windows they are also quite different.

In addition, when I compare the max time renderings to the advanced renderings, they also look completely different. How can it be that different render workflows lead to completely different results in a simple texture??

My points are:
The texture looks fine in the realtime renderer.

- I would expect that at least max time would give me exactly the same result - independent of the resolution
But as soon as the resolution of max time is higher, more artefacts are rendered in the texture (see attached Screen from Photoshop)

- I would also expect that a different render setting, in this case advanced render with the same settings as the realtime renderer (where applicable) would produce similar results as the realtime and max time renderer, which is, when you look at the provided images, also definitely not the case.

I am in desperate need to get a solution - we review and approve the shots with the client with screenshots (aka realtime renderer) - and I then have to provide the shots in higher resolutions. Theses dont match - and I have been hoping for help here.

Regards,
Dieter

Rex

Hey Dieter,

The difference you are seeing in the texture is actually due to the caustics. I'm not sure if there's really a benefit of having them enabled in your scene? I think the same appearance can be achieved by disabling the caustics and adjusting the glass material.

Rex

guest84672

Henrik mentioned that there is a fix coming for that. In my test I didn't find much of a need for caustics.