Main Menu

LEGO Macro - Emmet

Started by Magnus Skogsfjord, February 15, 2015, 10:58:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnus Skogsfjord

Testing out the NX-plugin with Emmet modeled in..NX..obviously. Works like a charm! Love it :)

(No post-editing)

TpwUK

Darn, these look good - Excellent close-up renders too!

Martin

Josh3D

Really cool. The texture looks so good too.

Magnus Skogsfjord

Thank you guys. Glad you liked it!

edwardo

The close up textures are awesome - exactly like lego minifies when you look closely!  Can you share your method (or bump map)?

Nice work
Ed

Magnus Skogsfjord

Thanks Edwardo, I appreciate that. I don't know if I can share some of the bump maps, unfortunately, but I can share the method. I don't have time to prepare anything right know(work is killing time), but I'll see if I can make a material breakdown the upcoming weekend.

Chad Holton

You nailed it - nicely done!  8)

KeyShot

Very cool. Great textures and materials!

Arn

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on February 16, 2015, 09:46:40 AM
Thanks Edwardo, I appreciate that. I don't know if I can share some of the bump maps, unfortunately, but I can share the method. I don't have time to prepare anything right know(work is killing time), but I'll see if I can make a material breakdown the upcoming weekend.
I would like to see this too, the result is pretty impressive.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Arn on February 22, 2015, 01:07:04 PM
Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on February 16, 2015, 09:46:40 AM
I would like to see this too, the result is pretty impressive.

+1! hah. Awesome

Magnus Skogsfjord

I'm very glad you guys liked the results! Please let me know if you have suggestions to improve it. I've made a small overview of most of the materials used in the scene.
Download this .pdf to see the details:
http://nxportalen.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/Downloads/KeyShot/MaterialBreakdownLEGO.zip

In general, I've used the translucent material a lot, since I think it gives a fantastic result on macro images. By using a darker color on "color 2", I kinda feel like it improves the shadows a bit on the geometry gaps, as well as geometry corners. Also, I think it generally just looks great.

Based on the .pdf:

• In point 3, I've used the first texture attached as a bump map (seamless_scratched.jpg)
  • In point 6, I used the orange peel as a basis, increased the translucency a bit, and replaced the specular map
  • In point 7, I've used the second texture attached as an opacity map (metal_scratched_non_tiled.jpg)

Unfortunately, I don't have the authority to share the other bump map used on the other points, but they are quite similar to some of the mold tech spatter maps, and I'm using both a normal map and a specular map.

Let me know if you have other questions :)

Magnus Skogsfjord

Also, forgot to mention: Hover over the numbers in the .pdf to see the details.

richardfunnell

That is an awesome breakdown Magnus!! Thank you for sharing :D

One note: the rollover feature isn't working for me in Preview on the Mac, but works fine in Adobe Acrobat.

Magnus Skogsfjord

Thanks Richard! I'm glad you liked it :)

I was a bit concerned about the compatibility on that .pdf, but I'm glad it worked with acrobat reader :) Good to have that feedback for the future.

blender974

it's very interesting !
amazing ;) i like it