simultaneous material apply/unlink

Started by andy.engelkemier, April 13, 2015, 08:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

First, the update to the material system is fantastic. I don't use it enough to remember what we disliked before, but it had something to do with the way things were liked and the number of materials you ended up with when unlinking. I'm pretty sure unlinking used to unlink an entire part tree instead of just the part you want to unlink, which created more work, unless you were hoping to get 29 copies of your material, in which case it was doing exactly what you wanted.

So while unlinking, then applying a material, I realized that it would be Much easier if I could just hold down a key while applying a material so that it would unlink that part from it's current material group all in one step instead of: right click, unlink material. drag material to object (or paste material).
In my case, the onscreen part is Very small overlapping a few other parts. Aiming the mouse only works 7 out of 10 times-ish. That's also why I'm dragging the material. It's easier to see if you're about to apply to the correct object that way. The material preview really helps. But it would still be faster for you even if your part wasn't small.

Remember, I'm looking for Speed here. I know there are a few ways to solve this. But what I'm asking for is the fastest solution and won't effect Anyone who doesn't want to use it. Unless, maybe you make it a habit of leaving your hand pressed down on the control key while you apply materials.

TL;DR? - hold ctrl while dragging a material onto a part to unlink that part and apply