Cat 3512C GenFlex from Pon Power - Ship Engine

Started by Magnus Skogsfjord, April 21, 2015, 05:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnus Skogsfjord

Hi folks,

A former colleague contacted me  the other day, and he requested some renders in KeyShot for their new ship engine: Cat 3512C GenFlex from Pon Power. This highly detailed model was a joy to work with. I've attached some of the results. Hope you guys like it. C&C are quite welcome.

Model Courtesy of Pon Power.

Speedster

Absolutely stunning!  And an amazing model!  If you can start with an exceptional model, the rest is easy.  Well, sort of! Thanks so much for sharing.
Bill G

Josh3D

Always nice to see work like this. Thanks for sharing Magnus!

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Speedster on April 21, 2015, 06:21:14 AM
Absolutely stunning!  And an amazing model!  If you can start with an exceptional model, the rest is easy.  Well, sort of! Thanks so much for sharing.
Bill G

Thanks, Bill! Appreciate that. And I couldn't agree more. Such detailed great models really makes the rendering work so much easier. Had to do a lot of radius adjustments though, but it worked like a charm in KS.

Quote from: josh3d on April 21, 2015, 06:22:34 AM
Always nice to see work like this. Thanks for sharing Magnus!

Thanks Josh, and thank you for sharing!

TpwUK

Awesome renders, the modelling looks exceptional too. Curiosity has the better of this pussy cat, was the model NURBS rendered or Poly-Mesh ?

Martin

Speedster

And my question- what's the poly count?
Bill G

PhilippeV8

So much galvanised material ... to the point where I wonder if there shouldn't be more parts sand-casted looking ?
I have no idea haha, unlike my brother in law I am not seeing ship engines too often  :P

Nice renders tho !  :D

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: TpwUK on April 21, 2015, 02:11:55 PM
Awesome renders, the modelling looks exceptional too. Curiosity has the better of this pussy cat, was the model NURBS rendered or Poly-Mesh ?

Martin

I actually planned for it to be a NURBS-render, as  the model was relatively large. However, I found myself short on time during the geometry prep in NX. I suspect that some of the parts were .IGES, which really is very time consuming to prepare. so I just went for a coarse mesh import, using the fillet radius function in KS. Didn't know at that time that this function didn't work together with NURBS rendering (which probably should be obvious). So I ended up with a coarse poly mesh, which turned out to be good enough.

Quote from: Speedster on April 21, 2015, 02:42:24 PM
And my question- what's the poly count?
Bill G

Not completely sure where you can access this information, but if you mean Triangles = 8 100 000. Is that.. much?

Quote from: PhilippeV8 on April 21, 2015, 08:36:35 PM
So much galvanised material ... to the point where I wonder if there shouldn't be more parts sand-casted looking ?
I have no idea haha, unlike my brother in law I am not seeing ship engines too often  :P

Nice renders tho !  :D

Hah, yeah.. I got to admit I kinda went overboard with the galvanised metal. It should probably be less, but I am as oblivious as you on ship engine appearance. I'm doing some rerenders though, as the finished Pon Cat engines have a lot more paint(typically yellow/black theme). Just went with a prototype/concept look.

Thanks though!

edwardo

These are just stunning! I particularly love the first two shots, and your materials are sublime - regardless of whether they are over galvanised!

Sh!t hot

ed

Speedster

QuoteTriangles = 8 100 000.
Yep.  Not bad for this complex a model...  I have one bad boy that's 71,000,000 + polys!
Bill G

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: edwardo on April 22, 2015, 05:05:32 AM
These are just stunning! I particularly love the first two shots, and your materials are sublime - regardless of whether they are over galvanised!

Sh!t hot

ed

Thanks Ed, I appreciate that! I just generally like the visual feel of that material, which might explain that it was used a tad too much;) The people at Pon Cat certainly liked the results.

Quote from: Speedster on April 22, 2015, 05:42:59 AM
QuoteTriangles = 8 100 000.
Yep.  Not bad for this complex a model...  I have one bad boy that's 71,000,000 + polys!
Bill G

Yikes, what kind of model was this? This makes me curious about other models I have lying around. Got a fully equipped fishing vessel somewhere which is pretty heavy. I'll see if I can dig up the images somewhere.

Quote from: E.Sirbu on April 22, 2015, 08:30:12 AM
Amazing work!

THanks man! :)

Angelo

HaroldL

Incredible images.
What material did you use on the tubing? It looks like it could be chrome or clear zinc. I like the hint of yellow on the tubing nut close up.
Could the materials be uploaded to the Cloud, or is that where you got them?

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Angelo on April 22, 2015, 11:43:02 AM
wow lovely, great details!

Thank you, Angelo!

Quote from: HaroldL on April 22, 2015, 02:03:13 PM
Incredible images.
What material did you use on the tubing? It looks like it could be chrome or clear zinc. I like the hint of yellow on the tubing nut close up.
Could the materials be uploaded to the Cloud, or is that where you got them?

The tubing is actually a basis from polished steel, where I increased the roughness to 0,02 and added a very subtle "polished steel" bump map. This map is quite similar to photoshop clouds, adding a gaussian blur to it. I cannot share the materials unfortunately, since some of the textures are propriatery. The yellow hint you are pointing out is actually a sphere with an area light diffuse material. Glad you noticed that ;)