Renders vs Renderings

Started by Esben Oxholm, May 10, 2015, 01:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esben Oxholm

Hi guys.

When you talk about the stuff coming out of a render engine, do you call it "renders" or "renderings"?
I'm a bit confused about which one is the right term. Maybe they both are?

TpwUK

I tend to use render, renders and rendered

Martin

Speedster

My clients usually call them renderings, or photos.  I call them what ever they want!
Bill G

Ed

"...When you talk about the stuff coming out of a render engine, do you call it "renders" or "renderings"?"

If it's one image it's called a render.

Multiple images are called renderi.

If the render engine is not KeyShot, it's called crap.

:) Ed Ferguson

PhilippeV8

In dutch I call it "render" ..

Working on a render is "renderen" .. which is funny cuz "renderen" (but pronounced with a longer 2nd e) means (can't find proper english translation) "to make money" or "to generate income" or "being profitable"

So there you go .. that's my job haha  ;D

That being said, I think both "renders" and "renderings" are correct, I would tend to use the first more tho.

edwardo

Iv asked myself the same question a hundred times. Also, I'm stuck trying to figure out what I categorise a bunch of work I want to put in my folio/website. Im a product designer, and this work isn't my designs necessarily, its just to show that I can model, render, and apply post production. Is it "CGI", "CG", "Vis", "CG Vis", "Vis Art", "Virtual Photography", 3D Art"...... etc etc. I dunno??

Speedster

A publisher just asked me this question for the credits on a book cover and two-truck I did for them.  We decided on "Computer Generated Image", to differentiate from the CAD Modeling.

As my friend, a now retired top executive with O&M said, "You ARE what you are perceived to be".

Bill G

NormanHadley

Interesting question, Esben.

I'd argue for render as the verb and rendering as the noun. I call to the bar, as my first witness, the verb to paint, which produces a painting as the end-product.

The defence rests.

Speedster

Excellent point, Norm. And a "painter" is one who paints. So one who renders renderings is a rendererer...   ;D
Bill G

andy.engelkemier

Rendering isn't very specific. If you draw something, you render it. It just means you represent something artistically.
But render has Many meanings. So if you are talking to a crowd that is unfamiliar with with what you do, then I would suggest using a more descriptive term.
Computer generated imagery is probably the best I've heard widely used because it's used in terms of special effects, which is the closest thing to what we're doing here.

I usually just say "photoshop" lol
That's where I end up spending most of my time anyway. I just finished a rendering that had a light ring behind backpainted glass that is supposed to have deadfront areas to show the light through.
And I had to wrap something in a special fabric and put that on the product as well. The rendering was the easy part. Matching the photo to the rendering, and the photoshop to get all the camera effects just right are the hard part.
Long story short, it's all mixed software for my images, so I always go with "Image Wizardry" and no one seems to question it. They just say, "How'd you do that?" Then they remember the wizard part. Who's going to question a wizard?

NormanHadley

Ahoy there, Bill.

Yes, renderer does look a bit odd. Mind you, so does fruiterer, with that awkward double er. Maybe we could call ourselves renderistes?

edwardo

Speedster

Quoterenderolics

Renderholics?

Interesting- an ad agency client called yesterday and asked if I had time to "work my magic" on one of their clients CAD models for a brochure.  Of course I said yes!

So there you have it- we're "Magicians"!

Bill G

andy.engelkemier

The original question was how we refer to renderings to people unfamiliar with our process. But if we're talking about what we call ourselves?
I'm a 3D animator focusing on product visualization. That's the shortest way to describe what I do to someone who isn't familiar with our world. Although, for you guys that only work in keyshot, you'd probably have to come up with something else. But I don't think there are very many people who Only work in keyshot. Most everyone also does work in Photoshop, AfterEffects, Blender, and when you need animation, you probably use something like Maya or 3dsMax.
And yes, I know you can animate things in keyshot. And you can edit video with Microsoft Movie Maker too. :/

Speedster

Since 2008, when I first got KeyShot (then BunkSpeed), I market myself as an Industrial Designer (which I am) with a focus on "Rapid Visualization".  I may have been the first to use that term, but many do now, as it's really pretty much what we do in the product development process.  Just like Rapid Prototyping has morphed into Additive Manufacturing, or AM.
Bill G