Depth map exr not working?

Started by andy.engelkemier, June 10, 2015, 07:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

Photoshop is throwing an error saying, "Could not complete your request because of a program error." It won't open it at all.
So, then I turn to AfterEffects. It opens the file, but it's completely black. Is the data stored in the alpha channel? AfterEffects reads things a bit differently.
But I tried a few combinations, and it's just coming up blank no matter what. AE settings, 32 bpc. At first, imported ignoring the alpha channel. That is aftereffect's guess as well. Then I tried changing it to "straight" alpha. Well, that's just blank. So I applied a channel shifter to it. AfterEffects is kind enough to allow you to read the alpha channel and apply it to RGB. Still blank. The alpha is straight up black. So you get nothing here either.

My exr was rendered at 9000x5997. Of course, due to some rounding errors you frequently get with keyshot, the exr is actually 8999 x 5996. For whatever reason, it's lost a pixel in both directions? You guys should probably log that bug. If you enter numbers like 9999, then it renders out and rounds to 10000, which you may know causes real-time render to fail.

Ok, so back to exr depth maps. Is anyone else having this issue? Any way to save this to a 32bit tiff instead maybe? I'll try some other solutions in the meantime. But this is kind of a pain. I was really hoping to do my depth in post because I've got some photoshop work to do, and it's near impossible to make good selections when half your image is blurry.

andy.engelkemier

I had some time to test.....also I really needed those depth maps.
realtime settings creates a successful exr. Using the advanced settings render, it does not.

I doubt they'll fix this in KS5, so here's what you do if you need to render with the advanced render. Keep your clown pass and normal render there.
Then turn off as much as possible, like shadows, GI, etc. and render for 45 seconds or so with the time setting with your depth pass.