Can keyshot plane be invisible but still show casted shadow from other models?

Started by texax, September 04, 2015, 03:36:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

texax

I'm doing a quickie here on the backplate. Since the backplate is the office and I want to mount TV on the wall I need TV to cast shadow on the wall.

One workaround I have in mind is just to slap a Keyshot plane behind it but I don't know how to make it invisible to the camera and make it not cast its own shadow, just receive the shadow form the TV.

Any ideas?

I've attached a .jpg for better reference.

Chad Holton

texax

Quote from: Chad Holton on September 04, 2015, 05:21:06 AM
Try using the ground plane material on the plane behind the TV.

I did and plane still casts a shadow on the actual ground. I also have a problem of plane catching Pin lights as well.

I guess matter is too complicated to be solved in Keyshot. I will just make a shadow in Photoshop.

Thank you for reply btw.

Chad Holton

You may just need to turn of ground shadows under the Project>Environment tab.

Chad Holton

If that doesn't work, maybe use a fake shadow (as color and opacity) on the plane using the emissive material. That material type will have options to turn off shadows from the plane alone. Or it may just be as easy to do it in PS in post.  :D

texax

If I turn off ground shadows I will loose all of my shadows from chairs, sofa, table, etc. But yeah you are right I'll just do it in the post, its just a simple drop shadow in this case.

Well its something for Keyshot devs to think about and maybe come up with shadow catching only material for backplate purposes so we can create invisible walls (no shadow casting, no specular highlights from light sources)

DMerz III

Might be too late to help with this issue.

If you were to turn off ground shadows, but still have a ground plane below the chairs etc, there should still be a shadow there below the chairs.

Once you add a ground plane, there's really no need to have the "ground shadows" box checked under environment.
DO NOT TURN OFF SELF-SHADOWS. That would remove the shadows cast on all geometry.

Hope that helps?