Animation Frame Size

Started by Marty, October 13, 2015, 08:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marty

I am outputting a series of animations for an AV production (HD 1920 x 1080).

Outputting to an uncompressed AVI, I didn't really pay much attention to the fact that my raster size was being rendered at 1920 x 1081. It didn't concern me too much because I planned on transcoding (with TMPGenc software) to Cineform (an excellent intermediate and archival codec) and my software program for making the conversions handled the odd-sized AVI frame generated from KeyShot.

Then the problems began.

First of all..... the conversions to Cineform resulted in stuttering movements. I attempted many framerates, settings, etc... but the stutter remains. I don't know if this is a problem with the AVI clips from KeyShot or not, but for now, that's irrelevant.

I thought I would simply bypass the conversion step (it reduces the file size and allows better response in the editing software) and import the uncompressed 1920 x 1081 AVI rendered by KeyShot.

Wrong.... Adobe Premiere CS6 will not handle the odd-sized AVI.

My question is... how can the frame (yes I untick the locked aspect ration button) size be manually set? Each time I numerically enter 1080... the width adjusts itself to 1922 or some other non-standard dimension. Even the presets offer only a non-standard option.

At the moment, my hopeful workaround is to output a frame sequence from KeyShot (at the non-standard dimension), and import that sequence into Premiere (which will compile as a single clip). Premiere is agnostic to still frame dimensions.... but now I face days of re-rendering. 

TpwUK

Did you save the individual frames ? If so, batch resize them and then compile to your chosen codec

Martin

Marty

Re-outputting frames is what I wanted to avoid since the renders were extremely time-consuming and I did AVI only.

The stuttering was definitely not a KeyShot issue (although having 29.97 fps as an option would have helped) and was resolved with a lot of trial and error in transcoding.

It doesn't remedy the issue of how the trouble came up in the first place, and that is the irregular frame size. I don't understand how a 16:9 aspect can be selected for the project, and have a non-standard dimension be the only alternative for the render.

Hopefully version 6 might have standard video dimensions as pull-down menu options. 29.97 fps would be a nice option instead of only 30 fps as well.

TpwUK

QuoteRe-outputting frames is what I wanted to avoid since the renders were extremely time-consuming and I did AVI only.

That's why i asked if you saved the frames - KeyShot has that option when rendering animations to save the frames too, I just wondered if they might still be there on your HDD.

It might be worth considering next time you have a large animation that will take hours/days to complete.

Martin