Max Samples

Started by PhilippeV8, November 05, 2015, 04:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilippeV8

Quick question ...

In the past I have used nothing other than max-time for rendering.  Now over the weekend I have to render out a scene with +10k pixels wide, hence max-time does not work for that.
So now I'm setting max-samples.  The render proces looks to work different.  Where max-time renders like in realtime window and shows black untill it's done one pass, then refines untill time runs out.  Max-samples seems to render out squares and building up from the center.
Now, for the question: if the image becomes fully visible, is the rendering done, or does it go over it again ?  I guess not, but just to make sure, cuz I'm trying to estimate the time it'll take vs the amount of samples I'm setting.
I wouldn't want to come back to work on monday and find it has only finished 1 of the 10 renders in the Q ..........

KeyShot

When it is done it is done. With high-resolution images max samples uses buckets to avoid running out of memory. Each bucket is only rendered once.

PhilippeV8

So, the "buckets" are like the "square tiles" that pop up every so often, which make up the render ?

PhilippeV8

BTW, thanks for the clarification :) (y)